New Discus not eating well

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I am totally no expert in discus...never kept them...
But fish not eating from the start is one of a few reasons...for the fish I've kept..
They have not been well acclimated to the water....normally that's the major reason...I drip acclimate until TDS in their water and tank water is the same. I know many people are against this but for me it has worked better than plop and drop method...in terms of fish acting naturally from the get go...and accepting food almost immediately...!

They are sickly...carry something that takes over under stress....A tank move a few feet away can be enough to trigger pathogens that the fish normally fights naturally...They may eventually fight it off again after they strengthen up but it doesn't mean there's no underlying cause and any stress...like bullying can trigger it again...

The tank is not well cycled...or caused a mini ammonia rise due to sudden bio overload if the previous bioload in the tank was not at the same level...or if one suddenly starts overfeeding. ..The spike may have been fast enough for the owner not to notice but would have done its deed....Large water changes when getting new fish is the only way to go...make it pristine for 3-4 weeks until the fish settles and the immune system kicks in properly.

Temperature has nothing to do with it as long as its not extreme...Any fish will have better metabolism in warmer temps but it comes with lower oxygen content, in turn worse nitrification, worse decomposition of organics and promotes more pathogenic organisms than in a well oxygenated tank...So discus or no discus..upping the surface movement and the water changes alongside with powerful filtration is essential to give new stressed fish a good start.

I would also say hiding spots....but I know its always bare bottom tank for discus...

Good luck with your adventure...one day I will keep them too...when I have more time on my hands.

Yoda1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
UK
I had something similar happen to me.
Got a bunch of young Discus and all they did was half heartedly pick at food. They slowly became emaciated, stunted and I lost them one by one.

After discussing with an expert keeper, it turns out that this is quite common with small DIscus. The stress of moving them to your tank triggers a flagellate problem in their gut.
They only pick at food, seem listless, clamped fins, go darker, white stringy poo are some of the symtoms.

This person suggested a double treatment of Metro.

I cleaned out my tank, left it Discus free for 4 months, and then tried again.
But this time I followed the advice, and treated with Metro as soon as I added the new youngsters, and again a week later.
And it worked! Didn't have problems with this new batch.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Are they eating yet? I also think they could just need a little time settling in. If they aren't eating you really need to be on top of the vacuuming, which it sounds like you are. Just remember, while Discus can be pigs, often they like taking their time and grazing , so sometimes they need a little longer. Uneaten food then should be vacuumed. Also imo, you need to change more of your water, as much as possible, do 100% a day if you can at that age, (especially in a 20). They really should be grown out in a bigger tank, snag a 65 somewhere!lol :)

Reactions: jandb

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Are they eating yet? I also think they could just need a little time settling in. If they aren't eating you really need to be on top of the vacuuming, which it sounds like you are. Just remember, while Discus can be pigs, often they like taking their time and grazing , so sometimes they need a little longer. Uneaten food then should be vacuumed. Also imo, you need to change more of your water, as much as possible, do 100% a day if you can at that age, (especially in a 20). They really should be grown out in a bigger tank, snag a 65 somewhere!lol :)
Thanks for the advice! Knock on wood everybody is doing great. 7 of the 8 small ones have been crushing even pellets and flakes. The other one is still just pecking at beefheart and shrimp. The big 2 are a little slower still. One of them has been eating shrimp, pellets and beefheart. The other isn't quite as aggressive. I've been doing -40% water change in the am and pm.

As far as the tanks go the larger ones are headed up to the 340 after qt and bulking up a bit and I already have a 40 breeder earmarked for the little guys. I'll keep you updated.

Reactions: UnstoppableJayD

SI Discus

Feeder Fish
Dec 12, 2016
New York City
Try feeding them some live blackworms. Discus will find them irresistible. If they still don't eat, then most likely internal parasite is the culprit. In that case, dose the QT tank with API General Cure which contains metronidazole (for treating internal flagellates) and praziquantel (for deworming). The good thing about live blackworms is that if they don't eat it, it will remain live and fresh in the tank and not spoil. Also it allows you to monitor if they are eating or not. (Count how many worms are left each day).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store