New Face

detto

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Hey Gazza, welcome!

I'm in Perth, WA and am doing the same!

I have 5 festae juveniles growing out aswell. I bought them online and they came from Queensland. There were literally none for sale here in Perth. I only received them on the 23/03/21. They're all about 50mm (2") and still unable to determine sex.

We may have got from the same batch?

I have a big male too in a 650L (180g) alone. He's probably about 250mm (10") he has nice form but his colouration is very poor for a festae his size. I bought him locally and unfortunately previous owner didn't do the greatest job in raising him.

Eventually I plan to line breed and get a nice bloodline going on, it's going to take probably over a year with their slow growth rate but I'm in it for the long haul. Looking forward to your updates mate and maybe one day we can swap fry.

If you ever want to chat, hit me up!

Cheers,

Detto

Reactions: Festae_Gazz

Festae_Gazz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2021
Brisbane, Australia.
Hey Gazza, welcome!

I'm in Perth, WA and am doing the same!

I have 5 festae juveniles growing out aswell. I bought them online and they came from Queensland. There were literally none for sale here in Perth. I only received them on the 23/03/21. They're all about 50mm (2") and still unable to determine sex.

We may have got from the same batch?

I have a big male too in a 650L (180g) alone. He's probably about 250mm (10") he has nice form but his colouration is very poor for a festae his size. I bought him locally and unfortunately previous owner didn't do the greatest job in raising him.

Eventually I plan to line breed and get a nice bloodline going on, it's going to take probably over a year with their slow growth rate but I'm in it for the long haul. Looking forward to your updates mate and maybe one day we can swap fry.

If you ever want to chat, hit me up!

Cheers,

Detto
We very well could have got fish from the same batch, I grabbed mine from Smith's Aquarium at Boondall.

But even saying that our local stocks of Festae are all likely related these days. Most of mine are around the 2" mark besides my dominant female (I believe it's female). I do know there were some for sale on one of Qld websites.

I'm currently having issues with feeding. They've suddenly decided they don't want any of the food I offer them... Nls Red,Nls Thera +A, Hikari Carnivore,Hikari Vegetarian. I really wanted to avoid frozen foods like bloodworms.

**Edit** I believe the most common method of sexing is to look for the blue spots on the unpaired find.... More spots supposedly means Male and hardly any spots means Female.... If that's the case then I have 4 females and 1 male.

Most festae come from the same farm over here so our fish are likely all brothers and sisters.

Reactions: detto

detto

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Yeah I bought them online, one I got had a deformed fin, I managed to get a refund for it. Just ordered another 2 then aswell, should get here by Tuesday hopefully.

Yeah I'm mainly going off the spangling in the fins. Only 3 at this stage are looking promising. I'm leaning towards 2 males and one female. The other two are runts and will mostly likely be culled off.

In regards to food I got lucky I guess, they instantly took Thera+A 1mm sinking pellets. I've also been feeding crushed freeze dried mealworms and krill. Try give that a go. It's really hard getting them off frozen and live foods once they're hooked but if you have no choice, it is what it is.

Gonna be intresting to see how they color up once grown out, fingers crossed we get some winners.

Reactions: Festae_Gazz

Festae_Gazz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2021
Brisbane, Australia.
Yeah I bought them online, one I got had a deformed fin, I managed to get a refund for it. Just ordered another 2 then aswell, should get here by Tuesday hopefully.

Yeah I'm mainly going off the spangling in the fins. Only 3 at this stage are looking promising. I'm leaning towards 2 males and one female. The other two are runts and will mostly likely be culled off.

In regards to food I got lucky I guess, they instantly took Thera+A 1mm sinking pellets. I've also been feeding crushed freeze dried mealworms and krill. Try give that a go. It's really hard getting them off frozen and live foods once they're hooked but if you have no choice, it is what it is.

Gonna be intresting to see how they color up once grown out, fingers crossed we get some winners.
I got quite lucky with one of mine, it (I believe She) is super orange in the face vertical bars are jet black no spangling on the unpaired fins... It is about 3.5" long and was purchased at the same time as the others but her growth took off and before I knew it she was double the size of the rest. She has a really bad temper which is a great show for how she could be in the future. Now I'm just waiting on a male to mature. I'll give that mealworms and krill a crack this week actually. Running out of options pretty fast.

Festae_Gazz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2021
Brisbane, Australia.
I got quite lucky with one of mine, it (I believe She) is super orange in the face vertical bars are jet black no spangling on the unpaired fins... It is about 3.5" long and was purchased at the same time as the others but her growth took off and before I knew it she was double the size of the rest. She has a really bad temper which is a great show for how she could be in the future. Now I'm just waiting on a male to mature. I'll give that mealworms and krill a crack this week actually. Running out of options pretty fast.
This is a pic of the same fish barred up and not barred up, everything points to female. But sometimes I'm sure it doesn't even know what it is.

So this is the same fish not showing bars... And then half showing bars. Sometimes I think this fish doesn't actually know what sex it is.
IMG_20210311_122401.jpgIMG_20210309_001854.jpg

detto

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Nice they're great quality fish!

Definently a female.

Going to need a nice male to handle her by the sounds of it.

I think they can start breeding at 4", though some say it slows they're growth rate down. Most likely due to expending energy for that or just too busy and not eating.

It's going to be a mission for me pairing up a small female with my big male. I'm hoping for an aggressive female otherwise she's not going to last unless I use a divider.

You should start a grow out thread. Update pics would be nice. Yours are definently much bigger and better coloured than mine!

Reactions: Rtc/tsn
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store