New fish we just picked up

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Great recovery so far. Was it just the one vulture cat that did this? There was a thread from another member before with a wound and tankmate was a vulture if I remember. Think this was normal behavior for a solo vulture cat?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Very nice looking goonch.I've been after one for a while now but no one has been bringing them in.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Very nice looking goonch.I've been after one for a while now but no one has been bringing them in.
Think predfins brought in 2 on recent Asia shipment. Check their website K krichardson . If not will be available soon.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Think predfins brought in 2 on recent Asia shipment. Check their website K krichardson . If not will be available soon.
Thanks I'll check em out!

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Is it coincidence or something else, fate or something bigger.

On Friday I was talking to colleagues about electricity supply and overloading sockets and extensions. They were concerned that a family member overloads an extension at Christmas with led lights. We got talking and I was explaining power, wattage, current etc and said “you want to see my fish house and I’ve never had a problem”
This was Friday 9 am.
Friday 9pm I fed my fish. 6 thawed fish fillets and a bag of mussels for all the tanks/ pond. All good.

9 am woke to find quiet outside as koi pond had no water running and no air.
Went in the fish house to find the same. The pond was pea soup, fish gasping and worse. Black shark and giraffes were white.

It’s confirmed that after 40 years keeping fish I can still be an idiot. I have a wired fuse box in the fish house that runs 3 different circuits. However I originally started with just one. The idea was each bank of tanks gets its own supply, but I never got round to changing all the plugs over, so they were still all on one circuit, including the pond filters indoors and out and both the large air pumps.

One of the small tanks had an old power head running which over time has taken in grains of sand and worn through the impeller through the casing, shorting the electrics on a tank worth maybe £20 of fish. In turn switching off the electric to the full fish house for 10 hours!

What dies first ?
Big fish
Anything requiring high dissolved oxygen.
Ie. All the stuff you strive hardest to keep or like the most!

The 20” bagarius

A253C642-AD70-4E90-9399-40182738B64D.jpeg
Who’s wound had now fully healed and coloured back up
2F89886C-82AC-4373-9DCD-8A4717335CF0.jpegEE64730E-5172-457A-8AF6-05B6BF37FA41.jpeg40DCEDD2-3BF8-4804-87EA-DBF62FBA58AB.jpeg

The 2ft vulture catfish

2C8004C4-ADB9-4B28-AE1F-5E70792AACE7.jpeg
F7DD8D53-7029-4986-A6E0-EF68A95EAE86.jpeg

Who was one solid, heavy fish.

Also lost the smaller mystus leucosis but that could easily have been a tumour

C00D7B89-445A-4AFA-9C2E-7FEA85AED2B0.jpeg

Gutted !!!!!

Especially as I had already made plans to move the bagarius later that day.

Sperata aor is still “missing”, if he has gone behind the top liner with the Wykii that may be a bad decision. everything else is accounted for.

Large water change and goes without saying a good look at the electrics with indoor and outdoor pond filters on one circuit, one air pump included on each of the other two circuits. In hindsight I really need to look for a battery backup air pump now.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Is it coincidence or something else, fate or something bigger.

On Friday I was talking to colleagues about electricity supply and overloading sockets and extensions. They were concerned that a family member overloads an extension at Christmas with led lights. We got talking and I was explaining power, wattage, current etc and said “you want to see my fish house and I’ve never had a problem”
This was Friday 9 am.
Friday 9pm I fed my fish. 6 thawed fish fillets and a bag of mussels for all the tanks/ pond. All good.

9 am woke to find quiet outside as koi pond had no water running and no air.
Went in the fish house to find the same. The pond was pea soup, fish gasping and worse. Black shark and giraffes were white.

It’s confirmed that after 40 years keeping fish I can still be an idiot. I have a wired fuse box in the fish house that runs 3 different circuits. However I originally started with just one. The idea was each bank of tanks gets its own supply, but I never got round to changing all the plugs over, so they were still all on one circuit, including the pond filters indoors and out and both the large air pumps.

One of the small tanks had an old power head running which over time has taken in grains of sand and worn through the impeller through the casing, shorting the electrics on a tank worth maybe £20 of fish. In turn switching off the electric to the full fish house for 10 hours!

What dies first ?
Big fish
Anything requiring high dissolved oxygen.
Ie. All the stuff you strive hardest to keep or like the most!

The 20” bagarius

View attachment 1432363
Who’s wound had now fully healed and coloured back up
View attachment 1432364View attachment 1432365View attachment 1432366

The 2ft vulture catfish

View attachment 1432367
View attachment 1432368

Who was one solid, heavy fish.

Also lost the smaller mystus leucosis but that could easily have been a tumour

View attachment 1432369

Gutted !!!!!

Especially as I had already made plans to move the bagarius later that day.

Sperata aor is still “missing”, if he has gone behind the top liner with the Wykii that may be a bad decision. everything else is accounted for.

Large water change and goes without saying a good look at the electrics with indoor and outdoor pond filters on one circuit, one air pump included on each of the other two circuits. In hindsight I really need to look for a battery backup air pump now.
Wow sorry for your loss man. Always a learning curve this hobby. I do try to allocate my tanks between different circuits, but not always possible.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Amazing recovery by the goonch (amazing job by you) and such an ironic turn of events...

Wow. This hurts. But having read the message before the photos, I expected worse, like a 75% stock loss. Glad for you it wasn't the case.

Well, if you ever saw my "Final measurements as of recent" thread, you are doing 100x better than me. https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...easurements-as-of-recent.688002/#post-7754696

I hope and pray you will not be knocked down by this. Take heart, Dave. We all know we keep our fish on life support, which is flirting with death.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
sorry for the loss, ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store