New Goonch (B. rutilus)

ptgabrys

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2017
Pennsylvania
New update:

Not much to update on really. My ruti is still going strong, and actually may have hit some sort of a growth spurt lately. He is always sitting right up against the glass, which is very conducive to taking regular measurements from the other side of the glass without causing any stress, and so I'd say I measure him once or twice or month. Well, the most recent measurement showed that he is closing in on 9in.!! Specifically, right around 8 7/8". Throughout the time I have had him, the water temps have always been 80-82F with high flow and extra aeration.

IMG_0062 (1).JPG

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Looking good, although you might want to start thinking about adding some slightly bigger pellets in with his feed too, especially if that means a different make. Not so bad if the same make come in slightly bigger ones too.

Reactions: ptgabrys

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
If you pulled it out and measured, it'd be around 10% bigger. They always look smaller in tank.

Reactions: ptgabrys

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
What a cool fish! I have sworn to curtail my keeping of "monster" fish, limiting myself to one: my beloved Jelly Cat. I haven't studied up much on the goonch species, but was for some reason under the impression they were all absolute behemoths; watching too much "River Monsters", I guess. The sizes mentioned in this thread make them much more appealing. And I absolutely love the structure of their faces, with those unique "webbed" side barbels.

I wonder if they are this slow-growing in nature as well, or is there some characteristic of captive life that limits the speed of their growth. Almost two years and yours has gone from 6-7 inches to a measly 9? Compared to the growth rate of a Jelly or a RTC, the difference is amazing. I wonder if even a high-current tank is still too close to stagnant to suit them perfectly? Again, just going by Jeremy Wade, they cope up with some serious flow rates in nature.

I missed a chance to get one...forget which species they listed it as...when a local importer/dealer offered them a year or two ago. I'm somewhat regretting it now. Looking forward to following this thread!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store