New Goonch (B. rutilus)

ptgabrys

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2017
Pennsylvania
Been a few weeks- goonch is doing fantastic.

He’s now on pellets and eating very aggressively. My method was this: For about 2 weeks I kept feeding to a minimal, I didn’t want to starve him but I wanted to keep him hungry, so I fed 1-2 pieces of shrimp every 2-3 days. Then one day I decided to just try some pellets before the shrimp and bam, that was that. Ever since then I’ve been mixing up what i feed- just pellets, just shrimp, or a mixture of both, and he shows no distinction in how readily he eats either one. Due to the heavy current from the wavemaker I let the shrimp/pellets float down a clear siphon tube and he’s now affiliated that with food so he swims up to it and waits at the bottom for the food to come to him. I have some really good videos of it that I’ll post here once I figure out how to.

For now, here are some update pics:
03A2841D-B069-4E5B-A773-87461DDB51E0.jpeg
A4AAB32B-E617-41E8-B514-B2F09557AB50.jpeg

ptgabrys

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yo guys,

It's been a while, but the goonch is still very much alive and well. He measured in last week at 8", so it looks like he's grown about an inch since I bought him back in March on a steady diet of hikari sinking pellets and shrimp. He's still in a 40gal breeder, and though that may seem small for an 8" catfish, well, it's a goonch lol. He enjoys sitting in front of the wavemaker all day long just as much as he did on day one.

The other day I noticed him in an unusual position and I tried to get some pictures of his mouth but they didn't come out as well as I thought they would thanks to my iphone 6, but I'll share them anyway.

1.JPG
2.JPG

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
nice pick up! been looking for a suchus -

how big does this guy get?

Reactions: ptgabrys

ptgabrys

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2017
Pennsylvania
nice pick up! been looking for a suchus -

how big does this guy get?
Thanks! suchus are so cool, I love how dorsoventrally flattened they are. Goonch are oddballs in general and suchus is an oddball within oddballs.

According to who I think of as the expert on goonch Chicxulub Chicxulub , the biggest in captivity so far was 18", but they do grow extremely slowly.

ptgabrys

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2017
Pennsylvania
Managed to grab some videos of the goonch actively eating some hikari sinking pellets. This feeding session he probably ate around 30 or so, I just kept dropping them in and he kept swimming around. He's not always this active during feeding time, but when he is, especially during the day, it's so cool to watch. YouTube lowered the quality of the videos so I apologize for that, but hope you guys enjoy!

ptgabrys

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2017
Pennsylvania
Long time coming! Haven't updated this thread in too long, but my devil cat is still going strong!! He/she is doing amazing and now resides in my recently redone 180gal tank. Still crushing pellets and shrimp and anything else. I haven't noticed too much growth, but that's to be expected. I'm in it for the long haul and I'm in no rush to speed up this guy's growth rate, just enjoying the fact that he's still thriving!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store