New 'hairy' monster in the house

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
My male (I think) used to be very extroverted. I paired him with what I think was a female and the were doing great together. Then, a few months ago, she suddenly died. She had no signs of trauma or disease. She was the dominant of the two fish and ate really well until her sudden demise. Since then, he tends to sit in the back and I hardly ever see him. He used to beg for food as soon as I entered the room, but not now. He still eats because the feeders disappear, and if I catch him out he’ll eat mealworms and earthworms that i toss in. I don’t really know what his problem is unless he is depressed at the loss of the other one. Seems unlikely though..
Mine too is quite similar in behaviour, always in his favourite spot, doesn't swim like it used to earlier, but sits all day long and will eat only when he/she feels like it or if I put crab meat.

Although in my case it has been by itself since day one.

Reactions: DMD123

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Took the day off work to get some chores done around the house. Started off morning with garage water changes and to my shock found my hairy puffer dead. She was with me for 6 years and 10 months and has always been my absolute favorite fish Ive owned for personality besides my old pearsei cichlid. Im kind of in shock... didn’t see it coming. She was acting normal yesterday and today to find her dead, that was harsh.

Will use her tank for a cichlid growout for a bit until I figure out what I want to do. Not sure if I want to do another hairy puffer or maybe something else...

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
So sorry to hear. This puffer was a beauty. You did a good job with her!
I always hate sudden mystery deaths.
Possible old age? Not sure what the documented lifespan is though. It would probably have slowed down first if that was the case.

Reactions: DMD123
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store