New 'hairy' monster in the house

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Yeah, Ive heard both sides but my puffer is fairly active. Have you considered the tiny pea puffers? These would work in the 15g
They're available, but the frequent feeding (?) And dental needs are a slight worry for me..

Otherwise I wouldn't mind :)

Reactions: DMD123

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
They're available, but the frequent feeding (?) And dental needs are a slight worry for me..

Otherwise I wouldn't mind :)
Totally understand, this was my reason for picking the hairy puffer. No dental issues and not having to have snails to feed it.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Totally understand, this was my reason for picking the hairy puffer. No dental issues and not having to have snails to feed it.
Here we go on the search again haha. I'd totally get a schoutedini but the price!! Cool fish for a 15gal are hard to find, maybe I'll have two killifish tanks instead..

A hairy will definitely be on the list for future! :)

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Out of curiosity what do you feed it and how did you get it to eat dead foods?

I'm expecting a battle with mine. Shrimp tail on a string is what I'm planning but just curious what you did.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I didnt really do anything special to get mine to eat. But there are things it wont eat still. I cant get it to eat tilapia and for some reason it does not like frozen silversides. Maybe there is no movement from the dead fish so it does not go for it. But there is no issue with frozen krill or shrimp in the shell. With the shrimp in shell I will soak it in Boyds vitamin and will make small incisions in the meat and stuff a few pellets in there. Some fall out during feeding but it manages to get a few down. Earthworms are great to keep on hand and with the movement it triggers puffer feeding. I also will feed small live crabs on occasion.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
He's like a fat ballerina :D

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
I miss mine so much, awesome if a little in active... I will have another one day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store