New here interested in fresh water rays

Fsh Lvr

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2020
What is the most important factor in ray keeping? I know that they are very sensitive to ammonia and good filtration is a must but is there anything besides that??

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
What is the most important factor in ray keeping? I know that they are very sensitive to ammonia and good filtration is a must but is there anything besides that??
Compatibility of other species. When a Stingray feels threatened it will tag its aggressor. Also Stingray will prey on fish small enough to be eaten.

Reactions: Matteus

Fsh Lvr

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2020
Ok thanks! By tagging do you mean they sting them? Or they know which fish to leave alone?

Fsh Lvr

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2020
Do you have to have a sump or is just a large filter fine?Cause some websites only say filters and some say sumps and filters so I was wondering which one was better.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Check out This topic in the Stingray forum for some advice and suggestion.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I attended a talk by one of the foremost ray keepers in Canada not long ago.
She is the curator of rays at the Vancouver aquarium (at least she was at the time of the talk) and spends a lot of time in S America with rays.
One of her recommendations was not using any tank under 300 gallons for even the smallest rays (although she said foot print was more important than gallons).
She was very personable, and I would imagine if you contacted her (sorry don't remember her name) at the Vancouver Aquarium, and explained your interest, she could be full of great info.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store