Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Awesome polys!

WC sen? I must see :D

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
I wonder how it will settle in. Insaw a pbb without eyes on fb and it was jet black. The thought was that the blindness somehow affected its ability to blend in wirh its surroundings
From my experience poly's with impaired vision or blind poly's get alot darker coloration. I have two endli's one is blind in one eye and is very dark and the other has perfect eye site and is way lighter in color. I keep them on black sand.

Reactions: jaws7777

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
From my experience poly's with impaired vision or blind poly's get alot darker coloration. I have two endli's one is blind in one eye and is very dark and the other has perfect eye site and is way lighter in color. I keep them on black sand.
Likely trying to fit in with their environment, if blind or partially so they will probably go darker from the darkness

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I don't know why I'm not getting notifications for this thread since I posted in it... :/

Anyway, great Weeksii pickup! Can you tell if it's male or female? Poor thing without eyes though - that means it was in with inappropriate tank mates at some point and that bothers me. Grrrr

Also, cute pic of your rope (they are so adorable) and yay, another Polleni owner! (I don't own one now, I want one for future tank.)

What else do you plan on adding?

It makes sense to me that if a fish can't see what it's supposed to be blending into, that it remains dark. Agree with jaws in that since these guys have crap vision anyway that it shouldn't affect him/her all that much compared to a fish that relies much more on sight.

Please keep us updated!

MooseTheWizard

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Canada
Anyway, great Weeksii pickup! Can you tell if it's male or female?
Female.

What else do you plan on adding?
I have the two teugelsi and one delhezi growing out in my 36 right now. Once they're added, the tank will be fully (over)stocked.

Total after that will be:
Paratilapia polleni x 1
Polypterus senegalus x 1
Polypterus delhezi x 1
Polypterus weeksii x 1
Polypterus teugelsi x 2
Erpetoichthys calabaricus x 5

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store