New Home for Pacu

djlancer88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2008
Syracuse NY
hmm.. little more details kobeclone please, sounds interesting, anymore ideas anyone?

i could go with a smaller stock tank.... but then it would defeat the purpose

djlancer88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2008
Syracuse NY
Okay, well today. I decided im going to build a plywood tank. 8x2x2. My only concern is the viewing window(glass) I dont have any idea how much it will cost. I also need a ruff estimate of how many gallons it will be. Im not a engineer (not even close). Ill probably start this project next weekend. Ill be sure to post pics of the progress. Im not going to get into what im gonna seal it with until the tank is built. im really interested in fiberglass. Always been a trade iv wanted to learn. It can come in handy later in life when i start building custom speaker boxes and boats(wink wink)

djlancer88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2008
Syracuse NY
CAN SOME ONE ANSWER THIS QUESTION WHO HAS BUILT A PLY W. TANK.
In the pic below is a side view of the back and bottom of a ply wood tank.
should the bottome piece of ply wood sit underneath the back?and be screwed "up". or should the back be screwed to the side of the bottom? get it? sorry for the pre k drawing but its the best i can do with a 12th grade education level. lol

Which one is correct?

gonnelro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
New Jersey
if you want to know how many gallons just click on the conversions button in the toolbar on the top of the screen (once logged in to MFK) and insert the appropriate measurements. Good luck with your tank

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
I know your busy planning his new home so i don't want to bother you..but i want to let you know that i am happy you rescued this beautiful fish and mega luck to you both.. pacus are the best!!!

djlancer88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2008
Syracuse NY
Thanks Red.D, your gratitude is appreciated!

no answers to my question any one?

thanks gonnelro, all this time. i wish i would of known, lol

assuming:215gallons

Lady G

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2007
Wisconsin
This is cool!! Been having thoughts of attempting to build a tank myself, so I'm going to be watchin your thread here, Good luck and congrats on the pacu, they are really fun fish!

djlancer88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2008
Syracuse NY
Hmmm.. earlier in this thread i was thinking of making basically a holding tank out of 2x4's and plywood. someone mentioned with a pacus skiddish/spastic movements the tank could possibly spring a leak (wacks the side of the tank) something very obvious that i didnt think of. Well so, now, ummm, yea. Maybe a plywood tank isnt the way to go. I could always make a real bulky 2x4 frame and then wrap it in plywood. it would make sealing the tank a little more difficult

maxumis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2006
South Africa
Plywood is the way to go IMO. There are a couple of threads on the forum about 8' plywood tanks. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88734&page=9 and My 300 Gallon. There is a lot of info on construction in these two alone.
Tips: #1. Do at least 2 layers of Fiberglass mat everywhere (overlaps on the seems should make for 3 - 4 layers of fiberglass mat) followed by at least 2 coats of fiberglass resin after that. (After the fiberglassing process I coat the tank with epoxy.)
#2. Once your done with fiberglassing and epoxy, smear silicone over all inside seems and corners and let it cure for a day or two before filling.

Ps. I use the bottom method displayed in the pic above. But I beefed up the seams of the two tanks I built by “laminating”/ adding 4” wide strips of plywood to the inside seams. Thus giving me a 1 ½” wide area to sink screws into as supposed to ¾”.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store