New Jag pair

Goose3984

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2017
Hi I recently purchased a new pair of Jaguar cichlids, the female look great and strong, even laid eggs in the lfs. The male seems thin and slightly tilts to one side when swimming. They are both eating well, so far some mysis shrimp and some talapia chunk's and some raw shrimp. They are alone in a 130g tank that has been established with peacock's for several years. Should I be concerned or just wait it out? I have been using the lfs for years and they haven't disappointed me before, thank for the advice. I attached a picture the male is on the left.

IMG_20170611_100820.jpg

Goose3984

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2017
A little update, I've decided to treat them both with metroplex, his stool doesn't look normal to me, it's not the stringy white of some issues. Since metroplex is broad spectrum I figured can't hurt

Goose3984

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2017
This stool seems normal to me, any thoughts been treating with metroplex for 7 days , thanks

IMG_20170621_203941.jpg

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I would consider treating with a praziquantel based product for internal parasites (most worms etc (though not all worms)). Metronidazole based medications treat protozoan parasites and is not a broad spectrum antibiotic. It treats anaerobic bacteria.

though metro is a good choice to help treat for hex/spiro

Goose3984

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2017
He seems to be doing gaining weight I planned on doing the full 3 week course as a precaution since metro is so safe. Any suggestions on what praziquantel medication? Thanks for the input.

Goose3984

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2017
Is the prazi pro indicated in treating internal parasites as well? Thanks again

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
that poop is fine. too many meds is not going to help anything. Metro is not an easy going med either and long term exposure is definitely not good for fish health.

I only treat if I am certain I have ID the problem, otherwise you could be weakening the fish further. Feed lightly, water change often, provide high quality mixture of foods, ensure you provide cover. give him some time!

Goose3984

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2017
He has shown the white stringy stool as well as the previously shown pictures. He definitely doesn't seem right, especially compared to the female. His metro course is done and after a few days of the prazi pro being in the water I will be doing another w/c and see how he responds. Thanks for the advice

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store