New life spectrum ultra red

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I recently started a 55 gallon tank with 13 small size cichlids. The tank is cycled with 0 ammonia, 0 nitites and 20 nitrates. I am feeding northfin krill gold, NF cichlid formula, and Nf veggie formula. Temp is set at 26 degree C. Have many hiding places.
The cichlids are smaller in size. Some mbunas and some peacocks. When i bought them from shop, they were very colorful (blue, yellow, blue with red tint etc etc). However after few days in my tank, the peacocks started loosing color. The blue color is changing to grey or silver color.
But the mbunas are holding their color and are looking beautiful. The size of the peacocks are bigger than the mbunas.
I am not sure why the peacocks are loosing color. Any suggestions?? Will nls ultra red help to bring back the red tint in the peacocks?
Not saying its related to your fish losing color but the last few pages may interest you

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/northfin-food.677309/page-3

SK13

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2017
The peacocks are loosing their color because they're getting stressed out by the rowdy mbunas.
I replaced all the mbunas with small sized peacocks. Currently i have 10 peacocks in the 55 gallon. The aggression has reduced a lot. Hope the peacocks will do well in the tank.

SK13

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2017

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Never kept africans but nls algaemax is another good one

888fish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
CA
I feed algaemax to my plecos, loaches. Very stiff, solid large discs pellets.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
this ....

Could be various reasons. They could have been artificially enhanced and are now losing their color. Or it could be a dominance issue. Etc.
and this ....

The peacocks are loosing their color because they're getting stressed out by the rowdy mbunas.

Even removing the mbuna does not guarantee that all of the peacocks are going to color back up. Some peacocks, such as OB variants, actually have mbuna genes in their genetic make up, and those fish, along with others, can become hyper dominant in a 55 gallon, enough to keep other males from ever coloring up fully. Don't expect food to be a silver bullet, if you want to see the best out of a peacock keep 1 male with 3-4 females.

SK13

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2017
I have a OB that is smaller in size than other peacocks. Will keep an eye on it. Today i noticed little bit blue color on the gill plates of a blue peacock that completely turned in gryish silver. Hoping that it is getting back its color.

jsoto2005

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
What is your opinion about new life spectrum ultra red fish food? Will it help the cichlids to color up nicely?
Late to the topic but I've recently tried feeding these to my Blood parrots and they are not really taking a liking to it. Anyone else had this experience ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store