New Local Fish Store Discus starting at $30.00

llaustin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Upstate NY
Only found discus at one lfs around here and they start at $50 and go up. Would love them but a little too pricey for me.

abpositive

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2006
Tempe, AZ
Discus from a LFS can be hit or miss. Most of the time they should have been culls, every once in a while you'll find a decent one. I always had trouble keeping discus I bought at the LFS, They would do fine for a while and then just die for no apparent reason. I finally found a local breeder and bought some from him and never had an unexplained death again. If you really want to try discus you should try and find a local breeder or pay a bit extra and buy them online. It may cost more in the begining, but you know exactly what your getting.
I completely agree. My LFS sells them for 35 to 250 dollars, and they are NOT the greatest looking. LOTS of pepper. I did some research, and lucked out that there is a local breeder here in PHX with some seriously NICE Discus for decent prices. I grabbed as many as I could fit. Now, I just need some more tanks....

SimmonM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
New York
Decent price. The lfs by me sell them (at that size) for around $50. They also have some bigger ones that start at $100 ... yikes! But they all have a lot of peppering and most of the $50 specimens look stunted with big eyes. I think your always better off going with a breeder ...

AlanSousa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
Rhode Island
yeah i agree with pretty much everyone here. if you know how to tell if theyre culls like with big eyes and such and what to stay waway from, then you can take chances with the lfs, i got a beautiful dark turquoise about 4" that ive had for 4-5 months now doing fine for $10 at a lfs. but i got to others around me that have really sub-par ones for up to $50. and im goin to college, $50 is an arm and a leg. but private brreeders are the way to go. if you can order them direct form germany they will be pricey but they will be the best fish you could ever buy in my humble opinion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store