New Marbled Cray tank :)

Dark Jester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2010
Hi All,

Got a new Marbled Crayfish home set up today. Ordered a 6-Pack of them off Aquabid last week and they should be arriving tomorrow or Tuesday.

I used the Tahitian Moon sand to add about a 1.5" deep layer in a 20G Long. Then I started smashing rocks. :grinno: Worked a lot of them into somewhat flat pieces and started stacking them inside. Looks pretty cool.

Whole Tank Shot:

Couple closer-up of the left and right:

I put in a sponge filter that has been in an established tank for about a month now so no cycle times. :headbang2 I'll add a second new sponge filter this week too probably since Crays can be messy.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. I'll put up some more pics when the Crays arrive. :grinno:

Dark Jester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2010
Crays arrived today and they are already enjoying their new environment. :) Got 6 around 1" long, and the guy threw in 2 extra that are around 1/2". Even got a couple Ramshorn snails mixed in with the plants he shipped with them (Duckweed and Java Moss). Will get some pics up tonight when I get home from work. :)

Dark Jester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2010
Here's some pics of the crays. They're all over the place. I probably snapped 50 of them and these are the clearest. They never stand still. :) I finally figured out how to control the shutter speed on my digital cam a bit though, so I got a few pretty nice pics. Yeah, I know I need to clean the glass a bit. I have a 3 year old that has had his face pressed against it since I put them in this afternoon. ;)

They really like playing 'King of the Hill' on top of the Anacharis stalks. :ROFL:

The biggest two are probably 1 1/4", so they got a couple molts to go before they start reproducing. They've chowed on some shrimp pellets, an algae wafer, and a piece of lettuce so far. They seem pretty happy. :grinno:

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Brilliant setup... looks like your going to have some very happy crays...

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
Your crays will be happy they have a new place to play hide and seek :D

Dark Jester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2010
lilr1ch;4489887; said:
nice tank! whered u get it and how much was it?
Thanks. :)

Overall it probably cost a bit over $100 for the entire setup. The rockwork was all DIY. I have a bunch of pinkish red shale rock in my yard. Boulders in some cases. I did an acid test on some that I powdered and no fizz and have had some in another tank for more than a month with no effect on the water so I think it's safe. I just got out a hammer and chisel and started smashing some rocks up to try and create a bunch of mostly flat pieces and started stacking them in the tank. Other than time, that was free.

Tank is a 20 Long, got off Craigslist for $15 with a top and stand. Sand is Tahitian Moon, around 25# which cost around $35. Simple sponge filter for $8 and an air pump for like $15. The Crays cost $45 for 6 (received 8) on Aquabid. Already had a boatload of Anacharis.

Think it came out pretty nice. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store