New member eel question

Troy.m

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2015
Hello this is my first time posting I just have some questions, I rescued a eel from a pet store locally they had it in a tank too small with gravel and the poor guy ground his nose down to what looks like a red stub. So anyways I purchased him and added him to my tank he's about 12 inches long and has in own hide he seems to swim around and get along with all other tAnk mates. I'm just wondering will the little appendages on his snout grow back or will he had a stub nose forever and how do I tell if it's healing correctly. Furthermore will this affect his ability to find food in the tank or burrow? If u want any parameters or list of my tank mates let me know

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard Troy:) First off that was nice of you to rescue the eel, if possible post a pic so so knowledgeable members can help you with treating your new eel.:)

Troy.m

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2015
Welcome aboard Troy:) First off that was nice of you to rescue the eel, if possible post a pic so so knowledgeable members can help you with treating your new eel.:)
I will try to get the picture for you guys tomm shouldn't be too hard he loves to peak his head out. In the mean time any basic info on how scaleless fish and eels heal up would be awesome ! He is my second fire eel I've had the original for over a year now and he's doing fine very shy though

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Click on forums and check out the fire eel threads, lots of information from experienced fire eel keepers:)

Troy.m

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2015
So an updated and what seems to be a bad one I have a picture of his nose and it seems to be kinda fuzzy or maybe a little bit of sand is stuck to it, it was very red at first but now it's more of a whiteish color in assuming that means it's no longer an open wound?
I'm kinda worried about how he's healing up should I dose with pimafix or something similar for a day or two ? This is my first time having a sick or injured fish! :eek:
image.jpg

Last edited:

Troy.m

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2015
Hers some other angles it's the only fussy spot my none of the other fish or eel have anything similar

image.jpg

image.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Just keep up with wc's and make sure water parameters are where they should be. Don't start dumping meds in your established aquarium if things don't improve get eel out and quarantine.

Troy.m

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2015
Just keep up with wc's and make sure water parameters are where they should be. Don't start dumping meds in your established aquarium if things don't improve get eel out and quarantine.
Alright that was pretty much the plan I do water changes every Friday about 30% the tank members are a gar the eel a much smaller eel and two six inch bichir would u say that's plenty frequent enough for a healing fish ?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
As long as the parameters are stable, and filter is handling the bioload I say you're good. Btw are you seeing the eel eating? I also like that the eel has a place to go while its in the healing process. :)

Troy.m

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2015
As long as the parameters are stable, and filter is handling the bioload I say you're good. Btw are you seeing the eel eating? I also like that the eel has a place to go while its in the healing process. :)
I haven't witnessed him eat yet But I only got him a few days ago yeah he has a few spots he like to switch back and forth. And yes filter is great I have a way over sized filter for the tank. Hope he heals up good but he will probably always be a little stubby nosed guy lol. Do u know if losing those two deals on his nose will affect him finding food or anything ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store