New member, new build

hartebreak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2020
Hey everyone, new member, Nathan here from Portland OR.

I have an addiction and the addiction is African Cichlids. Here is the issue, and plan. The issue is we have 3 tanks in our family room (125, 120 and 55), and its just completely overtaken the room. Also sick of the electric bill of running 6 heaters, 4 FX6s and 2 Eheim 2217s not to mention powerheads and 5 hours a week doing Water Changes. I am wanting to build a 750ish gallon plywood tank and move the fish from the 125 and 55 into it and get rid the the 120 with the Mbuna. The new tank will be a Lake Tanganyika with 10 Frontosa and a mix of Julies, Calvus with maybe a few dozen shell dwellers to fill things out. I plan on converting the existing 125 gallon into a sump/refugium. The room is approx 13'6" wide, so my thoughts are making the tank 13'L 3'W and 30" tall. The plan would be to wall it in with a false wall made with plywood. I am not worried about the sump access, but with the tank basically going from wall to wall, access into the top of the tank is going to be a challenge. Oh, forgot to mention, the TV in the room will need to be on the false wall directly above the tank. So I have a couple ideas.

Idea 1, make 2 sections of false wall above the tank and to the side of where the TV will be hinged so I can access the tank. This would be the easiest, but there will be about 4 feet directly behind the TV where access into the tank for cleaning etc. would be a real challenge.

Idea 2 do the same as idea 1, but make the center section hinged as well to access the center of the tank. Obviously this has challenges too since the TV is mounted here.

As far as viewing panel. I plan to have it 12'x24", but the two options I'm debating between 1 big panel of 12'x24" or doing 2 6'x24" panels with the divider/brace in the middle. Obviously 1 large window would be optimal, but I think I would need to be 1" thick glass which would cost a ton.

Im sure many of you have done something similar, so any advice would be appreciated.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey everyone, new member, Nathan here from Portland OR.

I have an addiction and the addiction is African Cichlids. Here is the issue, and plan. The issue is we have 3 tanks in our family room (125, 120 and 55), and its just completely overtaken the room. Also sick of the electric bill of running 6 heaters, 4 FX6s and 2 Eheim 2217s not to mention powerheads and 5 hours a week doing Water Changes. I am wanting to build a 750ish gallon plywood tank and move the fish from the 125 and 55 into it and get rid the the 120 with the Mbuna. The new tank will be a Lake Tanganyika with 10 Frontosa and a mix of Julies, Calvus with maybe a few dozen shell dwellers to fill things out. I plan on converting the existing 125 gallon into a sump/refugium. The room is approx 13'6" wide, so my thoughts are making the tank 13'L 3'W and 30" tall. The plan would be to wall it in with a false wall made with plywood. I am not worried about the sump access, but with the tank basically going from wall to wall, access into the top of the tank is going to be a challenge. Oh, forgot to mention, the TV in the room will need to be on the false wall directly above the tank. So I have a couple ideas.

Idea 1, make 2 sections of false wall above the tank and to the side of where the TV will be hinged so I can access the tank. This would be the easiest, but there will be about 4 feet directly behind the TV where access into the tank for cleaning etc. would be a real challenge.

Idea 2 do the same as idea 1, but make the center section hinged as well to access the center of the tank. Obviously this has challenges too since the TV is mounted here.

As far as viewing panel. I plan to have it 12'x24", but the two options I'm debating between 1 big panel of 12'x24" or doing 2 6'x24" panels with the divider/brace in the middle. Obviously 1 large window would be optimal, but I think I would need to be 1" thick glass which would cost a ton.

Im sure many of you have done something similar, so any advice would be appreciated.
Welcome aboard
Personally never built a aquarium but someone will chime in with their experience.

Reactions: Gpdriftwood

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Your issue is you think that A 750 gallon tank will be less weekly Maintenance and running cost. :ROFL::ROFL:
Actually with a sump and good insulation it probably will be cheaper to run.

I'd do 2 sections of glass or 3 if possible. Take apart the 120 if it's a standard 4×2×2 use the back, front and bottom as your 3 windows.

hartebreak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2020
So, I have gotten started on the build. I ended up going with 10'6"L 30" D 36" H. To save on costs, I went with 2 60x30 viewing panels. I ordered 1/2" thick tempered glass. For the tank, I went with 3/4 baltic birch and will be bracing with extra layers of ply and 2x4s in some strategic areas. A couple issues Im having to work around is the fact that I need to make plywood 10'6" long which means splicing. For all splices I am using a biscuit jointer and pocket screws as well as Titebond III waterproof glue. The only place I'm really concerned with is the front panel as I ended up making the splice right in the center, between the viewing panels. Ieft a 2 1/2 inch reveal on each side of center, so the completed divider will be 5". Obviously with a seam there, I will need bracing. I am debating between ripping down a 2x6 to 5" and using that OR, do I laminate 2 layers of 3/4 ply and make a laminated version of a 2x6????

Im not in a huge hurry, but I hope to have this tank built in the next month or so. Im not planning on doing a super detailed step by step documentary on this build, but will give updates on occasion.

Any input on the bracing for the center of the front panels is appreciated.

20200514_201754.jpg

20200514_201741.jpg

20200514_201747.jpg

Last edited:

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Your issue is you think that A 750 gallon tank will be less weekly Maintenance and running cost. :ROFL::ROFL:
He doesn't have an issue because he is correct! Compared to his three current tanks, this single one will absolutely save him time on maintenance, probably save money on power as well.

OP, I'm really looking forward to this thread. Good luck on the build. Is the bottom going to be a double layer, with the joints on each layer staggered with the other? That joint construction on a single layer looks sketchy.

Reactions: Gpdriftwood

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I don't think Calvus or shellies will work with Front's. Once the Front's get big enough they will prey on anythink small enough to eat. I like the idea though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store