New member, new build

hartebreak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2020
Got all the bracing done other than the back of the tank. Im still contemplating how I will do the back of the tank. Here are a couple pictures I took this afternoon. The first picture is on top of the tank looking down. It shows the corner joint of the tank with the eurobracing. I dont think anything is going to move.

20200531_201505.jpg

20200531_201511.jpg

20200531_201521.jpg

Zex Marquis

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2016
Question not critique...I dont see any pocket screws on the 2nd layer. Did you use biscuits or just glue and screw?

hartebreak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2020
Update. Got the plywood portion pretty much done. I've been filling screw holes and I got 2 coats of primer on the exterior. Now I've started with the fillets in the corners. I ended up going with West System 105 to make the fillets. I mixed in some wood flour and cabosil with the 105. Once fillets are done, I will glass over them and then start in with the waterproofing which will be Macropoxy 646.

20200608_194527.jpg

20200608_194511.jpg

20200608_194506.jpg

frasertheking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2007
scotland
Update. Got the plywood portion pretty much done. I've been filling screw holes and I got 2 coats of primer on the exterior. Now I've started with the fillets in the corners. I ended up going with West System 105 to make the fillets. I mixed in some wood flour and cabosil with the 105. Once fillets are done, I will glass over them and then start in with the waterproofing which will be Macropoxy 646.

View attachment 1421094

View attachment 1421095

View attachment 1421096
great looking build and those fillets look great. If you have not looked into it yet you can add pigments to the epoxy when you fiberglass to get a nice deep colour throughout the fiberglass. i think epoxyworks has some research in it.

I dunno if you have done much work with epoxy, the fillet thread I made has some good links for general tips. I am pretty new to it too but love the stuff. For the first layer painting the epoxy on then laying the first layer cloth ontop works great and helps to reduce bubbles I found. You can also post cure most epoxy by getting it up to 40c for a few hours then cooling it slowly after the first cure at room temp.

Looks like it will be an amazing tank when you get done.

Zex Marquis

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2016
Any tips for working with the fillets? And do you plan on fiberglassing over them or straight to epoxy?

hartebreak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2020
Any tips for working with the fillets? And do you plan on fiberglassing over them or straight to epoxy?
I will be glassing over all the joints. I would have preferred to glass right over the wet fillets, but since this is my first time, I had my hands full doing just the fillets without making a gigantic mess.

As for lessons learned.....

#1 Leaving a good amount of mixed epoxy in a mixing cup will cook off super quick. Even after like 10 minutes, if you leave it be, it will become rock hard and get extremely hot. Going forward, I will be mixing smaller batches.

#2 When wearing gloves, if you can, put on like 4 pairs at once. Because taking gloves on and off while in the middle of a mess, while under the gun of curing epoxy can get really stressful. Much easier to just peel a pair off and keep going.

#3 when making the fillets, remember to wet the surface with clean epoxy before you add the wood flour and cabosil, otherwise, you get all ready to start with the fillet and go, "dammit, now I have to mix more epoxy to wet the area first". Then after making the fillet, you go to wet another area and that new batch of epoxy you just made is rock hard and 3000 degrees ( see lesson #1).

#4 I'm glad I went with the slow cure hardener. When reading the back of the can I was thinking it would be painfully slow and considered the fast cure. Take my advice, slow cure is your friend if you're doing this for the first time.

Reactions: Zex Marquis
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store