New member, new build

Dovii kid

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Connecticut
Looks great. How is the macropoxy to work with? Looking for a medium to topcoat my glass/epoxy plywood aquarium. I noticed it appears there are a few options for macropoxy, one for potable water. Is that what you used?

hartebreak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2020
I went with the regular 646. The store I went to didnt have the PW stuff and the guy made it sound like it only came in 10 gallon kits. As far as applying it. Thia stuff goes on pretty well, I'm using a 1/4" nap roller. It's the consisancy of warm honey. Coverage is really good. It's pretty smelly stuff, so good ventilation is a must.

hartebreak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2020
Honestly, I watched lots of YouTube videos, and it narrowed it down to using a Polyamide epoxy. The two easy to find brands for me were the Sherwin Williams macropoxy or the Corotech V400. The counter worker at Sherwin Williams spent way more time with me and seemed to try and steer me in the right direction, so I gave him my business.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Honestly, I watched lots of YouTube videos, and it narrowed it down to using a Polyamide epoxy. The two easy to find brands for me were the Sherwin Williams macropoxy or the Corotech V400. The counter worker at Sherwin Williams spent way more time with me and seemed to try and steer me in the right direction, so I gave him my business.
They are awful in my area, couldnt care less about what I wanted. I actually looked it up myself went in and they told me never heard of it. I tried 3 different stores before I looked it up myself. I just assumed the company didn't care about customer service. I plan to use pond armor......if I ever actually pull the trigger on it.

Reactions: jjohnwm

Dovii kid

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Connecticut
Cool man. I think I may be going that route or sweetwater epoxy paint. One thing I did see with the PW epoxy was that it started in the data sheet something in regards to water temp not exceeding 73 degrees. The regular macropoxy I saw nothing about any temperature limitations.

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
Maybe I missed it, but are you somehow putting the glass on the outside? I didn’t see any framing inside.
Oh yea, pentaire sells colored epoxy as well. Don’t know quality or anything else though.

hartebreak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2020
The glass is going inside. I didnt put any framing I
In as i feel it would make waterproofing the interior just that much more complicated. I have a 1 1/2" reveal all the way around, so installation should be pretty straightforward. I'm still contemplating which silicone to use. I probably shouldn't have looked at the silicone sticky thread as it made me go down a huge rabbit hole and now my head is spinning.

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
The glass is going inside. I didnt put any framing I
In as i feel it would make waterproofing the interior just that much more complicated. I have a 1 1/2" reveal all the way around, so installation should be pretty straightforward. I'm still contemplating which silicone to use. I probably shouldn't have looked at the silicone sticky thread as it made me go down a huge rabbit hole and now my head is spinning.
I feel the same way.
Do you think if I used 3/4" plywood like you and reversed the front panel so the outside overlapped the inside could I then inset the glass inside that inset? Glass 3/4" also. The glass would be "flush" with the inside walls.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store