New mini monster....Ctenopoma Acutirostre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
At London zoo the too there hung in a shady spot between branches all the time, but they are generally active I think. Just not found here though :(

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I guess I've just have just had bad luck. I had read that they're generally fine unless a fish is snack-sized. Mine started out fine but then started constantly aggressively chasing my Congo tetras. Not like to eat them, but to chase them. But it might have been better in a larger tank (was in a 3-ft 65). Or maybe he was just a fluke jerk fish. ;)

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Interesting,Congos can be a little aggressive in tgeir own right.

Reactions: Jostin

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Does the fish have spikes over it's gills? If you had a close up we can sex it

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
I guess I've just have just had bad luck. I had read that they're generally fine unless a fish is snack-sized. Mine started out fine but then started constantly aggressively chasing my Congo tetras. Not like to eat them, but to chase them. But it might have been better in a larger tank (was in a 3-ft 65). Or maybe he was just a fluke jerk fish. ;)
They are not really aggressive so to speak but they do like their space so might give a short chase to fish in their territory. Tank size might be a factor also. But, so far the ones I've had have been good tank mates (except for snacking on small fish lol).

Reactions: magpie

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
Does the fish have spikes over it's gills? If you had a close up we can sex it
I think this one may be female. The one I had previously I always thought was male because of the spikes on the gillcover. This one doesn't look to have those.

Reactions: magpie

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
Awesome fish! Im gonno get a couple for a 150g tank soon also a butterfly fish.
We would like to get updates on them. I will share a few pics when i get mine as well. :)
A couple of them in a 150 would be great. I've always just kept them singly. What other fish besides the butterfly would you be considering? Would love to see pics when you get them.

Jostin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
Maybe a few gourami fishes. I was thinking of a school of tiger barbs, but I don't think I would get them.
Oh btw suggestions are always welcome. :)

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
I've kept them with Congo tetra, Boesemani rainbows, angelfish, cories and Dennison barbs. I think butterfly fish and Congos would be nice (and they're all African).

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
London zoo had a display of congos when I visited, probably about 50-70 fish with an intense crimson belly and my goodness was it amazing.

Their ctenos were rather shy but maybe they're an exception. I really want one but they are never found around

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store