New poly need a bit of advice

beau1990

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2018
Stanford Kentucky
Speaking of feeding...how good are these guys at finding food. Can I just drop some in or do I need to target feed? And what is the preferred pellet food for polys? I got Cichlid gold and some NLS.
quality pellets and your set as far as that goes and as far as feeding it does help to target feed especially if there are fast feeding tankmates

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
All Polypterus have very strong sense of smell so even in a dim aquarium can locate food but agree tankmates may make it difficult so target feed. I personally feed sinking pellet's and cut up peices of Tilapia to my larger Polys.
My Senegal Polys will swim to the surface and eat small floating pellet and freeze dried baby shrimp. Sinking pellet as well.

Spence

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2015
MA
It’s just him for now. Once he gets some size I may just move him to my 120. But I don’t think it would work until he gets bigger. I know they’re opportunistic feeders, but would they take out a full grown severum or green terror? Or is that too much for them to handle?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
It’s just him for now. Once he gets some size I may just move him to my 120. But I don’t think it would work until he gets bigger. I know they’re opportunistic feeders, but would they take out a full grown severum or green terror? Or is that too much for them to handle?

They can and will normally only eat fish that can fit in their mouths. A full grown GT and Severum should be fine. Ornate Bicher from my experience can be territorial but the other fish learned to stay away.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Some ornate are picky eaters, for small ornate i usually train them with tilapia and market shrimp first, once they start putting some size ill start to drop pellets one every feeding time, just wait to see if he gets intrested with pellets. If it dont work ill only drop a couple of tilapia and ill try feeding again in two days with same routine.

Also try to feed after lights are off, bichirs are noctural, like tlindsey tlindsey mentioned, they use sense off smell.

Reactions: Spence and tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Best thing ive used to get them to eat is carnivore pellets. They seem to love those even the ones that are finicky eaters. At that size you will have to break each pellet into 3 probably but its pretty easy to do. Polys, really most fish seem to grow pretty quick on those too.
Also I didnt see it mentioned yet (sorry if someone said it already), make sure you have a lid or some other cover on the tanks you put polys in. They are great jumpers and powerful fish.
As for life in your 120 with the other fish just make sure the cichlids arent beating him up once he goes in there. They are capable of hurting other fish larger then themselves but seldom do. Polys dont really try and fight back to often, and usually end up hurt in "fights" with things like cichlids.

Spence

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2015
MA
So I've read that light colored sand can wash their colors out. What's the consensus on substrate and background color? Big impact or not much of an impact? I'm probably going either all black sand or maybe a salt and pepper look (heavier on the black). But would love opinions

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Sand and substrate impact the fish look not its health. Some ppl dont mind having a washed out fish but for some they like to show off the patterns and true color of the fish, black substrate will make a poly really dark and white will make them pale.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store