Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

New poly need a bit of advice

Discussion in 'Polypterus' started by Spence, Feb 10, 2019.

1. beau1990

beau1990 Fire Eel

beau henriksen
      Today at 2:23 AM
      quality pellets and your set as far as that goes and as far as feeding it does help to target feed especially if there are fast feeding tankmates

Polyaddict86 and tlindsey like this.
    2. tlindsey

tlindsey Silver Tier VIP

Thomas Lindsey Sr.
      32 minutes ago
      All Polypterus have very strong sense of smell so even in a dim aquarium can locate food but agree tankmates may make it difficult so target feed. I personally feed sinking pellet's and cut up peices of Tilapia to my larger Polys.
      My Senegal Polys will swim to the surface and eat small floating pellet and freeze dried baby shrimp. Sinking pellet as well.

twentyleagues and Polyaddict86 like this.
    3. Spence

Spence Plecostomus

Yesterday at 9:10 PM
      It’s just him for now. Once he gets some size I may just move him to my 120. But I don’t think it would work until he gets bigger. I know they’re opportunistic feeders, but would they take out a full grown severum or green terror? Or is that too much for them to handle?

tlindsey likes this.
    4. tlindsey

tlindsey Silver Tier VIP

Thomas Lindsey Sr.
      32 minutes ago

They can and will normally only eat fish that can fit in their mouths. A full grown GT and Severum should be fine. Ornate Bicher from my experience can be territorial but the other fish learned to stay away.

5. Polyaddict86

Polyaddict86 Goliath Tigerfish

Yesterday at 10:25 PM
      Some ornate are picky eaters, for small ornate i usually train them with tilapia and market shrimp first, once they start putting some size ill start to drop pellets one every feeding time, just wait to see if he gets intrested with pellets. If it dont work ill only drop a couple of tilapia and ill try feeding again in two days with same routine.

Also try to feed after lights are off, bichirs are noctural, like @tlindsey@tlindsey mentioned, they use sense off smell.

Spence and tlindsey like this.
    6. twentyleagues

twentyleagues Blue Tier VIP

Today at 6:26 AM
      Best thing ive used to get them to eat is carnivore pellets. They seem to love those even the ones that are finicky eaters. At that size you will have to break each pellet into 3 probably but its pretty easy to do. Polys, really most fish seem to grow pretty quick on those too.
      Also I didnt see it mentioned yet (sorry if someone said it already), make sure you have a lid or some other cover on the tanks you put polys in. They are great jumpers and powerful fish.
      As for life in your 120 with the other fish just make sure the cichlids arent beating him up once he goes in there. They are capable of hurting other fish larger then themselves but seldom do. Polys dont really try and fight back to often, and usually end up hurt in "fights" with things like cichlids.

Polyaddict86, Spence and tlindsey like this.
    7. Mitchell The Monster

Mitchell The Monster Plecostomus

Mitchell
      Yesterday at 8:32 PM
      Everyone has pretty much nailed the care part but i just want more picture of the little guy!!!

Polyaddict86 likes this.
    8. Spence

Spence Plecostomus

Ha! I'll get some pics up soon, but I have to clean up the tank before posting anymore. I try to keep water spots and algae to a minimum.

Mitchell The Monster likes this.
    9. Spence

Spence Plecostomus

So I've read that light colored sand can wash their colors out. What's the consensus on substrate and background color? Big impact or not much of an impact? I'm probably going either all black sand or maybe a salt and pepper look (heavier on the black). But would love opinions

10. Polyaddict86

Polyaddict86 Goliath Tigerfish

Yesterday at 10:25 PM
      Sand and substrate impact the fish look not its health. Some ppl dont mind having a washed out fish but for some they like to show off the patterns and true color of the fish, black substrate will make a poly really dark and white will make them pale.

jaws7777 and twentyleagues like this.