New poly need a bit of advice

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
20190101_184700.jpg 20190107_221811.jpg I think mine all look pretty good I have a salt and pepper substrate. I did throw some smaller orangy brown gravel in not to long ago too.
Not the best pics, and not edited at all not even white balanced.
My female del has always had good stripes the two males dont but they have a nice color up close and personal.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
View attachment 1360035 View attachment 1360034 I think mine all look pretty good I have a salt and pepper substrate. I did throw some smaller orangy brown gravel in not to long ago too.
Not the best pics, and not edited at all not even white balanced.
My female del has always had good stripes the two males dont but they have a nice color up close and personal.
Atleast that evens out the black and white:)

Reactions: twentyleagues

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I think the back round makes a difference too. Mine looked better with a solid black back round vs the lighter 3d colors. Ive heard solid blue works too

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I had an ornate for two years didn’t get passed 9” got it at about 7”. It was the only bad eater I had. Sometimes it ate good then I wouldn’t see it eat for months.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I had an ornate for two years didn’t get passed 9” got it at about 7”. It was the only bad eater I had. Sometimes it ate good then I wouldn’t see it eat for months.
Yup you can have 1 that doesn't go with the normal. Most polys that eat normally will grow about 1" per month when young so you could see 12" in the first year. Now that also depends on the type of poly. Take my petsmart sen for example obviously cb, took 2 years to hit 6" ate like a champ. Pretty sure he had a tumor though, he only lived about 3 years and had a weird lump on his side. But the albino I have grew to about 6" in 8 months and then slowed down. Some take a bit of time to actually start to put on size. My teug took about 18 months to hit 18" which goes with the 1"/month but he spent about 5 months less then 4". At about 6 months he started to grow and really pack on size at about 1year growing over 2" in one month. The smaller ujs tend to hit a smaller slow down length so it will seem most hit 6" and then take forever to grow. Two of the big 3 seem to mostly get to 12-14" pretty quick and then slow teug and ornate. I'm not sure on weeksi growth and my teug above wasnt in the normal grow type through out their "normal growth time", but at the end according to the teug growth thread was still in the average at 1.5 years. Most ornates follow the "normal growth" rates. All all of that is saying is this you need to get a bigger tank asap, your ornate has the potential to be over a foot long in a year or less. Alot of words for a simple statement. But when you say its gonna get big you get people going oh ok then 8 months later, "I have to get rid of this its to big I don't have room".

Spence

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2015
MA
ok so even though he is so tiny I still want to get him out of the 29 gallon as soon as possible. So I just set up 55 to grow him out in. Then once he has enough size on him, he will be moved to my 120, assuming everyone decides to play nice. If not I'll be doing some shuffling of stock to figure out how to get everyone in a home and be happy.

IMG_4708.JPG

And, I keep saying he, but I really have no idea. At what point should I be able to tell if it's really or he or a she?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Yup you can have 1 that doesn't go with the normal. Most polys that eat normally will grow about 1" per month when young so you could see 12" in the first year. Now that also depends on the type of poly. Take my petsmart sen for example obviously cb, took 2 years to hit 6" ate like a champ. Pretty sure he had a tumor though, he only lived about 3 years and had a weird lump on his side. But the albino I have grew to about 6" in 8 months and then slowed down. Some take a bit of time to actually start to put on size. My teug took about 18 months to hit 18" which goes with the 1"/month but he spent about 5 months less then 4". At about 6 months he started to grow and really pack on size at about 1year growing over 2" in one month. The smaller ujs tend to hit a smaller slow down length so it will seem most hit 6" and then take forever to grow. Two of the big 3 seem to mostly get to 12-14" pretty quick and then slow teug and ornate. I'm not sure on weeksi growth and my teug above wasnt in the normal grow type through out their "normal growth time", but at the end according to the teug growth thread was still in the average at 1.5 years. Most ornates follow the "normal growth" rates. All all of that is saying is this you need to get a bigger tank asap, your ornate has the potential to be over a foot long in a year or less. Alot of words for a simple statement. But when you say its gonna get big you get people going oh ok then 8 months later, "I have to get rid of this its to big I don't have room".
I’m well aware. I was just giving my experience so the OP doesn’t get his hopes up. If you read through a lot of growth rate threads polys are pretty inconsistent in growth.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
ok so even though he is so tiny I still want to get him out of the 29 gallon as soon as possible. So I just set up 55 to grow him out in. Then once he has enough size on him, he will be moved to my 120, assuming everyone decides to play nice. If not I'll be doing some shuffling of stock to figure out how to get everyone in a home and be happy.

View attachment 1360149

And, I keep saying he, but I really have no idea. At what point should I be able to tell if it's really or he or a she?
You really wont be able to tell for at least 6-8 months. Different ones mature at different rates to. I had my two male dels for a year before I could tell. I was sure they were female. Males have a broader anal fin used to cup the eggs while fertilizing. You will see them "flexing" this fin from time to time cupping and uncupping.

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
Speaking of feeding...how good are these guys at finding food. Can I just drop some in or do I need to target feed? And what is the preferred pellet food for polys? I got Cichlid gold and some NLS.
Not the quickest with food... got mine at about 5 to 6 inches... fed a variety of foods and has doubled in size in 5 months so yea 1 inch per month... more of a growth spur type fish than a constant grower tho... mines in a 210 gallon with other large fish.. I now feed him massive delight broken into peices and silver sides every other day

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store