New polypterus delhezi!!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks just wondering the bigger one has been floating / suspended near the top It does not look like a swim bladder problem he is upright and in control but is this normal he is just hovering about 2-4 inches below the surface should I lower the water level to provide easy access to air?
Yes definitely should have water lowered 1 to 2 inches for Dels to collect air.

Reactions: dr exum

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I lowered it to about half a inch below the trim as I usually have it almost to the brace so I thought this was enough?
I personally would lower it to atleast 1" because sometimes they come up fast for air and may hit the lid. The little Delhezi is breathing with the external gills so will not go to surface as much.

Reactions: kno4te

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
This is one I have in grow out now too. It's about 4" now when I got it it was 1" maybe less smallest del I've ever seen. But all my dels have hung out near the top pretty sure it's natural. I'm guessing in nature they hunt bugs and small amphibians near the surface. They probably do this in the shallows as to protect themselves from larger predators, and like said above they do breath air also. Mine is very comfortable near the surface. I have taken advantage of this to start hand feeding it and getting it used to interacting with me.

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
Would love to do that with mine I really like the look of the floaters in your tank I might pick some up
This is one I have in grow out now too. It's about 4" now when I got it it was 1" maybe less smallest del I've ever seen. But all my dels have hung out near the top pretty sure it's natural. I'm guessing in nature they hunt bugs and small amphibians near the surface. They probably do this in the shallows as to protect themselves from larger predators, and like said above they do breath air also. Mine is very comfortable near the surface. I have taken advantage of this to start hand feeding it and getting it used to interacting with me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store