New pond started

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Very cool. Look forward to seeing the process and the final product.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Very nice! I’d love to have a pond that big. I can’t wait to see as your project progresses.

Glass Man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2018
I am currently running a 3500 gallon koi pond kidney. There are definitely some bad spots with the kidney shape. It creates two separate circulation, but it’s small enough and totally flat so debris always works it way to pump intake.
My thought with this was have two bottom drains one in each deep area. Rather than try to get everything to one end. I figure more is always better
It has been really hot the last couple weeks so waiting until cooler to dig. The property slopes to the right of the photo. The left side is at grade the right will need 4’ of fill. I am debating on wood retaining wall or cinder block fill outside pond on the right. Or just dirt dam all the way. Anybody have thoughts? Or regrets either way.

Reactions: davemal

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I am currently running a 3500 gallon koi pond kidney. There are definitely some bad spots with the kidney shape. It creates two separate circulation, but it’s small enough and totally flat so debris always works it way to pump intake.
My thought with this was have two bottom drains one in each deep area. Rather than try to get everything to one end. I figure more is always better
It has been really hot the last couple weeks so waiting until cooler to dig. The property slopes to the right of the photo. The left side is at grade the right will need 4’ of fill. I am debating on wood retaining wall or cinder block fill outside pond on the right. Or just dirt dam all the way. Anybody have thoughts? Or regrets either way.
I would add a quatic or semiaquatic plants in the dead zones.

And I would do a dirt dam reinforced with plants(the plants can help prevent erosion and loss to wind.

Glass Man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2018
Made a bit of progress, Started digging again it was 104 with heat index. Realized dirt falling in was going to be an issue so started to build a retaining wall at low end from left over deck removal. Also simplified design one huge oval 26’x60’ 30” shallow end 54” deep end. Not sure I have enough dirt so I will just keep on digging.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store