New RBP Mom- Need advice and help

Tnballgirl

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2020
Hello! I recently was shipped 3 .75-1" RBP. I had the tank set up and waiting. I THOUGHT I was prepared. I had double filtration, freeze dried blood worms, shrimp, pellets. I put black film over the back of tank and put in quite a few faux plants for hiding. Water temp hanging in the 78 degree mark.

When I got babies, one bag had leaked and hardly any water was left. I forgoed the whole "acclimation" thing and put him in the tank. He was listless and very white. I opened the other two bags and they didnt seem as bad, but I wouldnt say they looked good. So in they went. They had been in shipping around 40 degrees for 48 hours or more. Within a few hours their color was much better.
This is day 7. They run the gammit on behavior. Some days, hidden in a bunch behind plants and others like the last 2, they are almost jumping out of the tank. Day before yesterday one looked white, Google said alkaline toxicity. My strips show ph is 6.8 and total alkalinity between 40-80. I am hesitant to do any major changes for fear of stressing them out. They dont appear to be eating. I've kept the overhead lighting off as to hopefully relax them.
Suggestions?

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
You said the tank was set up but was it cycled? The question everyone will want to know is the tanks water readings. Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates. Pictures also can be helpful.
it is not uncommon for shipped fish to be stressed and hide or not eat for several days.

Reactions: Matteus and dr exum

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Do you know if you have hard water or soft water (GH reading)? A TDS meter can help determine this since harder water has a higher TDS reading. A water quality report will state the GH reading.

RBP? What's that?

How did you cycle the tank? How did you keep the cycle going? How long was the tank cycled for?

Tnballgirl

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2020
Tank was set up about 4 days in anticipation of recieving fish. It is 30gal tank with a 30-60gal filter(I read they need more filtration than other fish because they are messy).

20200220_093719.jpg

Tnballgirl

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2020
Do you know if you have hard water or soft water (GH reading)? A TDS meter can help determine this since harder water has a higher TDS reading. A water quality report will state the GH reading.

RBP? What's that?

How did you cycle the tank? How did you keep the cycle going? How long was the tank cycled for?
I do not have a TDS meter? The dip strips show "soft" or right in the middle.

Red Bellied Piranha

Reactions: tlindsey

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Dip strips aren't the most accurate. I would purchase liquid tests, especially for ammonia and nitrite.

Also, 4 days isn't long enough to get a cycled tank ready for long term fish.

Reactions: Matteus and dr exum

Tnballgirl

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2020
Dip strips aren't the most accurate. I would purchase liquid tests, especially for ammonia and nitrite.

Also, 4 days isn't long enough to get a cycled tank ready for long term fish.
Ok....well....fantastic.

So I can order the liquid tests online, what would a general consensus be for the time being? Any suggestions? Leave it alone? Water change?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Ok....well....fantastic.

So I can order the liquid tests online, what would a general consensus be for the time being? Any suggestions? Leave it alone? Water change?
Water change everyday 25%-50%, until you get the liquid tests. Make sure the dosing for the water conditioner is for the total aquarium volume, not just the water changed. Once you get the liquid tests, you will have to do a fish in cycle, not letting the ammonia and nitrite getting past 0.25ppm. A good water conditioner like Seachem Prime will be required to turn the ammonia non-toxic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store