New RBP Mom- Need advice and help

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Bite is healed amazingly. I made an executive decision to put him in the big tank with the other 2. Our weather looks like tornado again tonight so I didint want him upstairs by himself if one did hit. (It sounds dumber when I type it than when I thought it out).
Theres been some chasing around, but the one that was hospitalized is actually bigger than the others now. I'm keeping an eye on them before I head to work and if it looks like they're gonna try to fight I'm gonna put that one back alone.
Is that the right thing to do or leave him?

I personally would wait until I had the day off to observe the Piranha so If things get bad your there to seperate.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Umm ya not sure if anyone else caught the tornado part ? I hope things are ok on that front wow.

when you say it’s healed, is that just skin over the wound or did the flesh fully regenerate? Any pics?

I have seen piranhas recover from much worse injuries than this. Clean water is always your friend.

I do agree with what tlindsey tlindsey said here regarding a chaperone

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Sounds like things are coming along, try to keep the water clean and lights off to dim...

if you add the 3rd guy back make sure to mix up decor and do a good wc first.

you have pics?

Tnballgirl

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2020
Umm ya not sure if anyone else caught the tornado part ? I hope things are ok on that front wow.

when you say it’s healed, is that just skin over the wound or did the flesh fully regenerate? Any pics?

I have seen piranhas recover from much worse injuries than this. Clean water is always your friend.

I do agree with what tlindsey tlindsey said here regarding a chaperone
Tennessee...just a storm this time. Tornado warning cancelled! Last week was ROUGH.

The wounds look really good. Originally they looked dark. Like, the white meat was showing and then they darkened up. Now they APPEAR to have the same silvery color as the rest of the back. You can see theres some area missing but it's nice and clean looking.

I will try to get photo in the am.

I have been trying to use a schedule for lights. They are dimmed at night and in the am when I get home, I cut them on and feed. When I go to bed, I dim them again and then cut them on again in the evening when i feed before work. Then i dim them before i leave.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Tennessee...just a storm this time. Tornado warning cancelled! Last week was ROUGH.

The wounds look really good. Originally they looked dark. Like, the white meat was showing and then they darkened up. Now they APPEAR to have the same silvery color as the rest of the back. You can see theres some area missing but it's nice and clean looking.

I will try to get photo in the am.

I have been trying to use a schedule for lights. They are dimmed at night and in the am when I get home, I cut them on and feed. When I go to bed, I dim them again and then cut them on again in the evening when i feed before work. Then i dim them before i leave.
Timers are excellent for setting and turning on the lights on and off. The Piranha will get accustomed to the consistent automatic hourly schedule. You can setup the light feature the way you like. I've learned when the lights are turned on nd off inconsistently this will cause fish to spazz out and this may stress the fish out.

Tnballgirl

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2020
Update for anyone who cares. My big tank is FINALLY doing what its supposed to level wise. Ammonia down, nitrites were up and had nitrates, now nitrites down and nitrates up. ???
But now we are having the fin nipping again. Tail and top fins of the same 2 who bit each others chunks out in the old tank. ☹ They did really well for a week. I've been watching who eats first and it looks like the little one with zero bites always gets the first bite while the other two swim around and around and come in like they want to take a bite and swim off without actually biting. ?
I'm going to attach a photo, the best I could get of the healed up wound, someone had asked to see it. Now, if they would only act right....
Hope every one is safe from the Kung Flu...? a little medical humor. You gotta have it to work in this field especially now...?‍♀

Screenshot_20200318-161058_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200318-161035_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

Tnballgirl

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2020
And I mean that first line, not in a smart ass way, but an "if you're not worn out from my newbie ignorance yet" way. I'm am 100% grateful for all of the tips and advice.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
And I mean that first line, not in a smart ass way, but an "if you're not worn out from my newbie ignorance yet" way. I'm am 100% grateful for all of the tips and advice.
I don't think you have to worry about any member's feeling that way. Great to see the wound healed up nicely. What is going on between the 2 RBP is who is going to be top dog. This is natural with most fish species.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Congrats on the cycle! Are you feeding twice a day?

full tanks shots? All three are in your 70g?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store