new red devil question

jag14

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2012
knoxville tn
Hello everyone,

I've been gone for quite a while, but am getting back into this. I just got a "red devil", or at least it was sold as a red devil. I understand from reading other post that it may be a hybrid.

It is about 2 inches long and very shy at the moment. It hides in the plants and I only just saw it again today. Is it normal for a juvenile this young to do this? I assume it comes out at night to forage for food.

I just want to provide good care for this guy. I want a large, aggressive fish. It is currently living with 4 black skirt tetras, which I am aware will be eaten later. It is in a 55 gallon tank. Thanks in advance for everyone's advice.

From Knoxville Tn, have a great day!

Reactions: Jexnell

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello everyone,

I've been gone for quite a while, but am getting back into this. I just got a "red devil", or at least it was sold as a red devil. I understand from reading other post that it may be a hybrid.

It is about 2 inches long and very shy at the moment. It hides in the plants and I only just saw it again today. Is it normal for a juvenile this young to do this? I assume it comes out at night to forage for food.

I just want to provide good care for this guy. I want a large, aggressive fish. It is currently living with 4 black skirt tetras, which I am aware will be eaten later. It is in a 55 gallon tank. Thanks in advance for everyone's advice.

From Knoxville Tn, have a great day!

Give little RD more time to adjust to its new environment. Once the RD learns you are not a threat it shouldn't be shy.

jag14

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2012
knoxville tn
It watches me through the plants, I drop food close to it, but I haven't seen it eat this morning. This wouldn't be my first hybrid. I had a jaguar/dovii hybrid that was about 14 inches. I'll give it time to get used to me and my cats. They like to watch the tank.

I have a 75 gallon stand, but the tank developed a leak. Depending on how fast the red devil grows, I may try to get a 75 set up.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with Tom, as a juvie most cichlids live in schools in nature which provides them a sense of security. Alone in a tank, it doesn't have that, so hiding is perfectly normal, and with a lot of personal contact with you, it will loosen up.
The name Red Devil, is a generic term that can often mean any of about a dozen species of Amphilophus from the great lakes of Nicaragua.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If you bought it as a "red devil" from a LFS that probably means, aquarium strain (not a bad thing) which could be any combination of Amphilophus species.
A respected cichlid dealer would use the scientific name (not just red devil), if it were a true, pure species, such as
Amphilophus sagittae or
A flaveolus, or astoriquii, or
Amphillophus species Amarillo.
And by just looks alone, isn't a reliable way to tell which it is, especially when young. Many look similar as juvies, and do not show specific traits until up to 2 years old or more, and even then, the only way to be sure is to know which lake it came from, and there are a number of possibilities, or have a DNA test performed, which of course isn't feasable.
below a young Amarillo

which grows into this

or a young Amphillophus flaveolus

which grows into this

and all have the ability to produce pink and semi-pink morphs, which would make IDing by looks, even more difficult

jag14

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2012
knoxville tn
Guess I'll just have to see what the little one grows up to be. I'm sure that the mature fish is going to be worth waiting for. I like to see the juvies grow and the changes that they go through as they grow.

Reactions: Jexnell

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Definitely agree that getting juvies and watching them grow is more rewarding.
Anytime I put a young cichlid alone in a tank, they are shy, like how you describe. It will probably be shy until about 5-6". If you were to add more cichlids it may be less shy, but would pay less attention to you personally. And in a 55 or 75, red devil will probably kill any other cichlids eventually. You will definitely need the 75, as a 55 is only 12" wide, but you probably have 8 months or so before you need it.

jag14

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2012
knoxville tn
where I live, 75 gallon tanks are only available from a few stores. That makes them a bit pricey, but worth the investment. It was out tonight hanging out in a far corner of the tank. I don't care what particular species or hybrid it may be. It is just a species I haven't had before and decided to try. It will be worth waiting to have a monster, aggressive fish again, I do plan on starting a pleco with it, so that they will grow up together.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I just got a group of Amphilophus Sagittae. We can watch each other's progression and see how they differ. Mine is in a group of five, with Swordtails as dithers. 20180909_175059.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store