New Severum

robfishies

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2020
I got this new severum today to add to my tank of the red severum and tiger oscar. He was perfect for the first few hours and now he’s starting to be aggressive towards the oscar and only the oscar. Anyone know why?60B014AA-90D7-4CE7-8056-4D450482FD93.jpeg

Reactions: dr exum

robfishies

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2020
The red severum and the new one are getting along very well though. The oscar is very peaceful so he just runs away. He’s a little smaller by maybe like half an inch. The red severum doesn’t bother anyone either.

Reactions: tlindsey

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Does your other Severum have wormlike patterns on its face?
The pattern means it’s a male. Your new one is a female, it’s possible the new one is trying to pair with your existing sev.

only mean severum I ever had was a gold male, nice flowing trailers on his fins but mean as hell. The male Rotkeil I had was a lot more laid back.

robfishies

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2020
Does your other Severum have wormlike patterns on its face?
The pattern means it’s a male. Your new one is a female, it’s possible the new one is trying to pair with your existing sev.

only mean severum I ever had was a gold male, nice flowing trailers on his fins but mean as hell. The male Rotkeil I had was a lot more laid back.
Yes he does018588FF-C5AF-4140-9A70-4A97F73ED342.jpeg

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Also noticed the two severums are picking at rocks a lot. Is this mating behavior??
That's one among a suite of pre-spawn behaviors, including sticking close together, hanging around and focused on a particular spot, chasing other fish off, cleaning a rock, bit of driftwood, or even a spot on the bottom, head shaking (like shaking your head "no"), etc. "Courting" before a spawn can include circling, tail slapping, mouth wrestling, etc.

It would be fast, but you may well have yourself a pair in the making.

Reactions: dr exum

robfishies

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2020
That's one among a suite of pre-spawn behaviors, including sticking close together, hanging around and focused on a particular spot, chasing other fish off, cleaning a rock, bit of driftwood, or even a spot on the bottom, head shaking (like shaking your head "no"), etc. "Courting" before a spawn can include circling, tail slapping, mouth wrestling, etc.

It would be fast, but you may well have yourself a pair in the making.
Yes they both were actually shaking heads and picking at the rocks in the bottom. I just took out my oscar and put him in my 15 gallon tank for now. What should i do?

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
ya man... new tank - or ya...

these guys can be a holes... i had a pair terrorize much larger p bass...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store