New Severum

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
i’d imagine they won’t want any tank mates....

mine even terrorized a 12” TSN....

GL !

Reactions: tlindsey

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
It’s common to introduce a new adult cichlid to one of the opposite sex and them pair up almost immediately. This often happens.
If people are telling you otherwise I would question their experience.
After keeping cichlids for more than 10 years I can say it’s not Uncommon.

Years ago I brought home a female convict And placed her in with a pair of jade eye cichlids.Within a day the convict had stolen the jade eye male and laid a bunch of eggs.

some cichlids have weak pair bonds while others will almost never break up.

good luck with your new pair! That male is beautiful.

robfishies

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2020
It’s common to introduce a new adult cichlid to one of the opposite sex and them pair up almost immediately. This often happens.
If people are telling you otherwise I would question their experience.
After keeping cichlids for more than 10 years I can say it’s not Uncommon.

Years ago I brought home a female convict And placed her in with a pair of jade eye cichlids.Within a day the convict had stolen the jade eye male and laid a bunch of eggs.

some cichlids have weak pair bonds while others will almost never break up.

good luck with your new pair! That male is beautiful.
Thank you! you've been big help. So its 100 percent they're pairing/mating?

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Thank you! you've been big help. So its 100 percent they're pairing/mating?
No problem, I don’t check here often these days so it was by chance that I saw your thread.
if they are a male and female head shaking and clearing a nesting site whilst bullying a tank mate I’d say odds are pretty high they are pairing up.
If they lay eggs do not be surprised if they eat the eggs or fry the first time, that is not unusual.

I haven’t bred severums so I’m unsure how strong their bond is or how good parents they are as a species, but most cichlids are great parents.

good luck!

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Hey ryansmith83 ryansmith83 do you think they’re pairing?

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
IMO the super red may be a female. Super reds are a line-bred strain where both males and females have facial striation. On the males it is spaced apart giving the fish an overall patterned look, while on the females it is very tightly coiled and forms a nearly solid red color over the face and front half of the body, which is how yours looks.

Either way, it sounds like pre-spawning behavior. Female/female pairs are common and just as likely as male/female pairs if they’re the only two Heros in the tank.

Sometimes these immediate pairings work out okay but sometimes they go sideways. The “newness” wears off and the pairs realize they aren’t compatible, usually after a disagreement over the care of the eggs or fry, and one of the fish ends up shredded. If you are isolating them with no dithers at all, make sure you have plenty of cover and hiding spots in case one needs to get away.

robfishies

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2020
IMO the super red may be a female. Super reds are a line-bred strain where both males and females have facial striation. On the males it is spaced apart giving the fish an overall patterned look, while on the females it is very tightly coiled and forms a nearly solid red color over the face and front half of the body, which is how yours looks.

Either way, it sounds like pre-spawning behavior. Female/female pairs are common and just as likely as male/female pairs if they’re the only two Heros in the tank.

Sometimes these immediate pairings work out okay but sometimes they go sideways. The “newness” wears off and the pairs realize they aren’t compatible, usually after a disagreement over the care of the eggs or fry, and one of the fish ends up shredded. If you are isolating them with no dithers at all, make sure you have plenty of cover and hiding spots in case one needs to get away.
I took out my oscar and put him in a 15 gallon. He’s my favorite so i didn’t want him to get hurt. When do you think i should put him back or how should i put him back

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store