New Species in the Fish Room (Gymnogeophagus sp. "El Norte")

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Hmm neat looking fish ya got there. Kinda looks like a green terror except yellow instead. So is that their adult size or were those all juvi's? They look like juvi's to me but I could easily be wrong, lol I'm definitely not an expert on Geo's by any means. Either way tho they sure are pretty when colored up like that one ya focused on for most of the vid.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
That's the correct name for the fish in question.

The original collection location for the fish formerly known as G. sp. "Norte" is Sequeira in Artigas, Uruguay. There are other variants of G. terrapurpura all over the country.

They key for these guys is to give them a winter cool down period. Uruguay is temperate climate and they appreciate water in the 50s-low 60s for part of the year. I've tried to keep them in tropical temps all year and they sort of fade out after awhile.

Nice looking small cichlid.
What is the difference to G. terrapurpura?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with dogofwar.
Although I have not kept this species in particular, I have kept a number of other Gymogeophagus from Uruguay and found they need a cool down to stay healthy.
Winter temps in Sequiera de Artigas Uruguay drop into the mid 40sF, and can drop even lower on occasion, so these cichlids have evolved to live under these cool down conditions.
I would often keep Gymos (and other genera cichlids from Uruguay such as Crenicichla and Australoheros) in ponds in Wisconsin spring thru fall, and move them to an unheated basement during winter because my ponds would freeze solid.
In the basement the kiddy pool temps often dropped into the 40sF.
1613162734122.png
I believe water temps that drop into the low 60sF may be sufficient, because I have kept many upstairs in unheated tanks, along north walls during winter that did well.

Last edited:

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Nice fsh, never seen them before. Stupid question but are these the ones that develop the hump/bubble on their heads?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Nice fsh, never seen them before. Stupid question but are these the ones that develop the hump/bubble on their heads?
You are thinking of Gymnogeophagus balzani.
This is from the Rhabdotus group, this group is more like the braziliensus group in shape.
Below Gy. balzani
1613560553933.png
Below one of the brasiliensus clade (G iporanguensis)
1613560634998.png

Reactions: Ogertron3000
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store