New ST

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Went ahead this weekend picked up another NTT at around ~2” added him to the tank and instantly started battling the other one I had. So I figured I’ll give it a shot and got an AT as well at around ~3.5” as soon as I put that fish in the tank all agression stopped and the NTT won’t leave the AT side. I was nervous since the AT is the largest fish in this tank he’d reek havoc but it’s been the exact opposite fish is super laid back and doesn’t look like he’d hurt a fly.

Reactions: Fishy-Botany

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
With the AT in, now is the best time to pellet train them.

Never had an AT refusing pellets.
Put the tape to the fish and apparently I'm horrible with eyeballing fish. The two NTT are between 1.25"-1.75" and the AT @ 3". I've been feeding the live brine and guppies which all three take readily. I've also been feeding NLS spectrum, grow and hikari vibra bites with frozen brine and daphina. The Dats give no interest to the daphina or nls. I have seen them go after the hikari and frozen brine but not much and hikari was spit out. I think I'm going to give them another week to settle then really focus on pellet training.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I guess it is a good thing that they are spitting out the pellets....at least they are sampling them.Keep offering the Vibra bites until they no longer reject them.

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Well apparently between last night and me getting home today the smallest NTT died. No visible markings gills were flared. Wonder if the AT got to him I know he’d chase on occasion but nothing crazy. Down to an NTT and AT

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Sorry to hear.It's always a gamble when dealing with such small and young fish.

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Yeah it’s a bummer. He was super dark the minute I put him in the tank and never changed. Just really hoping it wasn’t the AT. He normally goes after the Roseline Sharks at night but both other dats did chase him a good bit but I never saw any damaged fins or scales. Hopefully it was a fluke tested my water and it was fine.

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
I would suggest: the more you get, the less they fight. NTTs also just up and die for no apparent reason, IME.
However, I have personally had one that would bash the sides of other fish and kill them. Guess it would pop the swim bladder. That was an NGT though. Meanest dats, again just in my experience. Good news, I’ve had 2” with 6”, 8”, etc.. and no problems. Get more you’ll be better off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store