New sump now fish are sick!

Grover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Yesterday I installed a new sump for my 110 gal tank. The sump is a 30gal glass tank with partitions I siliconed in. I saved all the media and put it in the new sump. All water perameters were perfect before the switch. 24 hours later my fish are sick and laying on the bottom of the tank. I'm wondering if I killed the good bacteria and polluted the tank or if you think the new sump maybe has polluted the tank. The new sump did have some new PVC parts to it. I am about to do a water change to hopefully improve things. Any ideas out there? Thanks.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
How long did you let everything cure before you set up the tank?
Do you still have the original filters running?

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
Grover;4760116; said:
Yesterday I installed a new sump for my 110 gal tank. The sump is a 30gal glass tank with partitions I siliconed in. I saved all the media and put it in the new sump. All water perameters were perfect before the switch. 24 hours later my fish are sick and laying on the bottom of the tank. I'm wondering if I killed the good bacteria and polluted the tank or if you think the new sump maybe has polluted the tank. The new sump did have some new PVC parts to it. I am about to do a water change to hopefully improve things. Any ideas out there? Thanks.

You state you tested before the switch when nothing was going on but it doesn't occur to post test results now they are sick?
Test the water first, that way people can get to a solution. I doubt it is the pvc partitions.

Have you tested your source water?
You more than likely did a water change when you swapped to the new sump. At the very least you will have topped up.

If you did do a water change or topped up, did you remember to dechlorinate the water?

How long did the sump sit for after applying the silicone to it's use?

Did you rinse the sump out a few times before using it?

Grover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I let the silicone cure for 3 days and ran water through it for 1 day to flush it. The water perameters are still good. I run a cannister filter as well as the sump and that is still running as usual.

Grover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Alberta, Canada
cichlid2006;4760140; said:
You state you tested before the switch when nothing was going on but it doesn't occur to post test results now they are sick?
Test the water first, that way people can get to a solution. I doubt it is the pvc partitions.

Have you tested your source water?
You more than likely did a water change when you swapped to the new sump. At the very least you will have topped up.

If you did do a water change or topped up, did you remember to dechlorinate the water?

How long did the sump sit for after applying the silicone to it's use?

Did you rinse the sump out a few times before using it?
I keep a tank with aged water to do all water changes and top ups but I never thought to test that today. I doubt that is the problem but will test it anyways.

nes999

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2009
IL
Grover;4760148; said:
I let the silicone cure for 3 days and ran water through it for 1 day to flush it. The water perameters are still good. I run a cannister filter as well as the sump and that is still running as usual.

whats good? numbers help.

i think you are going through a minicycle

Grover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Alberta, Canada
nes999;4760169; said:
whats good? numbers help.

i think you are going through a minicycle
110 gal tank PH-7.8, Ammonia - 0, Nitrites -0, Nitrates- less than 5ppm
aged water all numbers 0, PH is 7.8

Veil-o's

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2009
Fresno, CA
Make sure you used the right silicone. From several posts on here silicone with antibacterial/antifungal properties can cause havoc and won't show up in water tests. Either way something is happening in your tank and the only new factor is the sump.

Grover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Veil-o's;4760278; said:
Make sure you used the right silicone. From several posts on here silicone with antibacterial/antifungal properties can cause havoc and won't show up in water tests. Either way something is happening in your tank and the only new factor is the sump.
I used GE Silicone II. 100 % silicone & no antibacterial ingredients that I could see. I was pretty sure on other threads this had been used for aquariums by other people with no problems. I did use the black but again others have used this with no problem. I agree the sump is the only change I've made so something in the new sump is causing it. I am currently doing a 60% water change to see if this will help. Thanks for your ideas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store