New Tanganykan 20L - how to stock?

slava2929

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
Ontario
I'm a new world cichlid keeper and I'm dipping my toes into Tanganykan cichlids.

I have a 20 Long (crushed coral, Ph 7.7, DH 12) with two juvenile lamprologous pulchers (daffodi cichlids), but the tank seems bare. The two fish spend most ot their time in the rock structure I have in the middle of the tank and both are still very small (1.5 inches). I realize that daffodils can reach four inches and I will put them in a larger tank two years from now, but right now I'm looking to add something to the tank.

Is there such a thing as Tanganykan dithers or should I add more small lamprologous cichlids? My first instinct is to add 2 or 3 shellies or should I just add more pulcbers? What about dither fish? Or am I being greedy and should I just be patient with my two pulchers and let them grow into the tank?

Any and all opinions from people with Tanganykan experience is welcome.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Are the pulchers a pair? If so I would leave them alone, once the pair and start breeding they will take over the tank and each generation will help raise the younger fish. The group will normally kill anything in their space.

If they aren't a bonded pair, I would add a few more so they can work it out then remove the others.

Reactions: deeda and tlindsey

slava2929

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
Ontario
Are they a bonded pair? It's a good question. I have had them in the tank for a week and I'm pretty certain one is male and the other female, but they seem to keep their distance and have very little contact with one another. I was hoping they would become a bonded pair over time, but I'm not 100% certain of their sex yet. I'll wait and see if the sparks fly and if they do, I'll just make this a breeding tank like you said.

Reactions: deeda

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
It may work better to have a few more. Just having a male and female doesn't necessarily mean they will pair.

Reactions: Zanzag
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store