New Tank Build - Mudskipper Setup (LOAD WARNING)

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
OK, here it is. I put allot of work into my build of the below muskipper setup. My budget was $200 for everything. Literaly, the wife handed me two bills and said "I dare you to spend more", I came in right on budget, needless to say...

I was starting from scratch so I landed a used 55G/stand on CL for $50. It was in bad shape so I had to reseal it. I cut down a spatula and rounded it's corner for a smooth apply. Knowing I needed to get the sand very deep and didn't want it to rot, I had to fab a box that could take up some volume in the tank and hopefully harbor some bacteria as well as bring up water/air to the sand. An "underflow box" if you will. I am not sure if it will work, but I figured I would try. Haven't seen anything like this done before. Substrate is pool filter sand from a pool supply store.

Let me know what you think. I will update soon with the hood build/landscaping. Been up and running for two days now. So far, so good and the sand is getting lots of fresh water and air.

$50 - Tank/Stand (used)
$6 - Silcone
$40 - Internal Filter
$15 - Heater
$22 - Substrate (100 lbs)
$4 - Duckwort
$40 - Mudskippers
$20 - Bogwood (Was $35 but had store credit)
$197 total. Savin the $3 for another beer...:ROFL:

Reseal_01.JPG

Reseal_02.JPG

Biobox_01.JPG

Biobox_02.JPG

Biobox_03.JPG

Biobox_04.JPG

Biobox_05.JPG

Biobox_06.JPG

Biobox_07.JPG

Biobox_08.JPG

Setup_01.JPG

Setup_02.JPG

Setup_03.JPG

Setup_04.JPG

Setup_05.JPG

Setup_06.JPG

Finished_03.JPG

Finished_01.JPG

Finished_02.JPG

Finished_04.JPG

Tilapia Buttikoferi

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2008
Provo, UT
That underflow box is nifty and looks like it could maybe work. When the mudskipper decides to poop when he's out basking in the rocks it will go right in the filter :)

but if he decides drop a load when he goes for a swim, well that poo might just rest on the gravel and give off killer nitrates and ammonia :grinno:

awesome none the less!

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Tilapia Buttikoferi;2171225; said:
That underflow box is nifty and looks like it could maybe work. When the mudskipper decides to poop when he's out basking in the rocks it will go right in the filter :)

but if he decides drop a load when he goes for a swim, well that poo might just rest on the gravel and give off killer nitrates and ammonia :grinno:

awesome none the less!
The underflow box doesn't draw water down. I have to pull off the poo with a scooper. It pushed are up so the sand does not rot. I am hoping it will retain the bacteria from the tanks I pulled the gravel from. The water section has a internal Fluval canister filter so it filtered just as a normal tank would be.

Thanks for the compliment!

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Sweet set-up.

sploke

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Lebanon, CT
Nice setup, although I think I would have tended to a platform-type setup to leave a lot more swimming area available.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store