They sure get big..beautifull fish

viagem argentina 079.jpg

elbeatch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2006
Ontario Canada
www.youtube.com
thanks! nice catch by the way! at the moment I've got a 95 gal diamond shaped tank so it would appear an upgrade will have to take place, fortunately just based on shape that tank could sell and I could get a rectangular tank with more volume. originally though I got that tank because with the knife i figured it's better for him to go around than up and down back and forth. with the growth rate you said though he'll surpass the senegals pretty quick. as for that mouth, I was shocked. Also has anyone else noticed the "growl" they let out during their attack? must be pretty loud if it goes through the glass. Thanks again, any input is much appreciated!

boisblancboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
Michigan
Forgot to mention the one I had when I got him was about 3 maybe 4 inches long, within 6 months he was 14 inches long. At the time i didnt know anything about the hobby or the fish and had him in a 55. I gave him to the local LFS, not sure where he ended up but I felt bad once I realized how big they end up getting.

If you ever went with a huge tank, go long not tall and get glass cause with a big tank means big fish and arylic is going to get scratched with large fish, let alone the cost difference is hardly compairable unless a good used one is found.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
I have had mine for less than 2 months. Went from 3 1/2" to 10" already, but I am kind of a person who loves to grow his catfish large and in a fast manner. I fed him freeze dried krill for the first month, and now I am feeding large chunks of prawn with ocassional worms from the bait store. Also ocassional minnows that have been quarantined for 2 weeks to check for desieses! I treat my feeders with melafix or primafix depending on how they look, and fatten them up for 2 weeks before feeding them. lol. I also do 2-3 50% water changes per week depending on the nitrate levels. He's in a 45 gal hex right now, and will be moved in the next two weeks to a 125 gal. He grows faster than any other(many) large catfish I have ever owned. Good luck. Mine will end up in a 350 gal pond within the next year to year and a half, and eventually will go into a 2500 gal plywood aquarium that I am planning for in the next five years. Good luck!

Jason

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2005
mine is about eight inches long and on frozen food atm, soon i'll try pellets on him i dont really want to deal with live feeders since its unnecessary and in this case might bring in problems for my lung and gar in the tank and i'm not remotely interested in that.

size is going to be a problem for me but at least i have a standing home for mine when i cant take care of it any longer the down side is if i wait too long the shipping is going to suck.

nice looking little fish, we have one at work about four inches long and so damn cute :).

jason

elbeatch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2006
Ontario Canada
www.youtube.com
so is anyone familiar with the "growling" sound I mentioned? If not listen next time you throw feeders in, i figure it's the sounds of his gills vibrating when lots of water goes through them when he tries to get feeders in his mouth, but thats just an explanation I made up. Anyone know about the growl?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store