New to fish mania

MiaWest

Feeder Fish
Jun 16, 2017
Hi all

Is there anyone willing to take me on/mentor me? I have very little real knowledge - I inherited a fish tank and am teaching myself.

I want to breed bettas /siamese fighters... but first I want to establish myself and my tanks - I'm in no hurry. Do it right, ya know?

I bought my first female yesterday, to get to know the breed, solid blue and lovely but too old I think. I'm very excited

Thanx

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Welcome to MFK :)

Have you researched the nitrogen cycle? Bettas are said to be easy to breed so I thini it will be a good project

Get the hang of care before you try breeding;)

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
Honestly, the best way to start is to probably go to the public library and check out a few books, then ask questions. I am sure plenty of people wil answer any questions. It is not hard, but a lot to learn.

I have never successfully bred bettas so I am not an expert. I tried once about 15 years ago. When you put the pair together, you need a bunch of plants (real or plastic) for the female to hide in , just in case. Keep an eye on them. The male can be rough at times. I have bred paradise fish and croaking gouramis.. (not at the same time, seperately). I used a 15 gallon tank, with plenty of cover for the girls. The male gets aggressive guarding the nest.

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store