New to me 240 up and running

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
Can you post a photo of your sum? How about a video of it running? I would find that interesting. I would also like to hear what you did for your chamber for the K-1.

Thanks

loganh83

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
The Lone Star State
I was using the pvc first chamber to hold filter socks or poly pad but they clogged in 2 days. Just got an fx4 for mechanical. Now I'm thinking the first chamber can be a setting chamber for any detritus that's goes over the overflow. Then into the k1 chamber and finally to the returns and heaters.

Reactions: Hendre

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Besides movement I think the air pump ensures the k1 bacterial colony stays aerobic. I'm sure your set up will be fine that should be well oxygenated.

loganh83

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
The Lone Star State
I can't guarantee it's going to be successful. But the water is in constant circulation and virtually silent. Plenty of surface disturbance for oxygen exchange It seems. Hopefully it works as well an air pump.

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
L loganh83 thanks for the images. I'm always looking for new ideas.

You need to upload a video to YouTube and then link that to MFK.

You still may want to add a very small, quiet, air Pump in your media, just to help with the oxygen as noted above.

loganh83

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
The Lone Star State
Update, it seems that evaporation in the sump has slowed considerably. The "boiling" caused by the commercial air pump lead to a rapid drop in water level in the sump.

The other issue I'm having is fine detritus powder is coating the bottom of the tank. A wavemaker was delivered yesterday. I'm going to add it to the non-overflow side of the tank near the bottom of the water column. The aim is to create a circular flow that will carry water from the returns, to the far end of the tank then, back to the other end along the bottom, carrying the detritus to the canister filter.

If I can perfect this flow, my upkeep will be minimal on this tank. The K1 is self cleaning. I can disassemble and clean the fx4 every 4-6 months. And water changes are a breeze since the tank is drilled and plumbed allowing me to drain 40% with the twist of a ball valve. No gravel to vac and refills with a garden hose.

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Your K1 setup looks good..
I used to do the same as you in my previous setup but it failed badly.. I'm not entirely sure if it's the lack of oxygen or what but my K1 never matured even after a year of churning in the chamber.. It was disheartening to say the least but I'm gonna redo the K1 setup, this time with a proper air pump moving the media..

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
If those pumps don't have venturi you can always drill a hole in the output and insert a hose to the air where it can pull air in to the water to oxygenate it. I don't remember is that a traditional overflow set up or a "suction" one? if the later ( for some reason my brain is failing me this morning) you may want to add air. If its a traditional the water gets a lot of added oxygen from the overflow and should be good but added o2 couldn't hurt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store