new to parrot fish, setup worries

exoticaquaria

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2012
Shreveport
I have a sixty gallon aquarium which is about four foot long and two foot wide. it houses one upside down catfish at three inches and three two inch parrot fish that I purchased a few days ago. I keep my water at 80f, ph 7.0 and ammonia and nitrates at zero. im feeding the fish a mixture of hikari pellets and bloodworms twice a day.

I posted a topic in the coldwater forums at aquariacentral a few days ago about some mature goldfish I rescued a week ago, ive found homes for all but one fancy at four inches and im out of tankspace. I gave away my last ten gallon when I rehomed one of the other goldfish which now means I have this fancy in my tropical sixty gallon. im aware of the ammonia goldfish produce and my temp is not ideal for a coldwater fish but im now out of options. the goldfish seems happy, I just placed him in the sixty gallon two days ago and hes feeding and odly schooling with the parrot fish.

obviously this setup isnt going to work, should I be worried about my ammonia levels even with the addition of one goldfish? I can go out and buy a ten gallon tomorrow but thats all I have room for an di hate putting this fish in a tank so small. im aware im breaking a big rule mixing tropicals with a goldfish but what should I do? I want the best for my fish and im open to any suggestions. could this work with daily water changes? I already do daily ten percent water changes and my ammonia and nitrates have remained at zero.

and with the exception of my goldfish how am I doing with the parrot fish? any opinions on what I should do? ive nabbed a few pics but their so busy begging for food it was hard to get a decent shot. thanks for any advice!

uploadfromtaptalk1330127818290.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1330127837425.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1330127861808.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1330127876033.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1330127898827.jpg

exoticaquaria

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2012
Shreveport
also ive noticed my two darker parrots seem to be courting one another, I know the males are infertile but what cichlids could I introduce (if I ever find a home for the goldfish) if I ever wanted to breed these hybrids for my personal collection?

I know these fish are going to outgrow my sixty gallon but I shouldnt be worried for the next six months or so right?

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Your parrots should be ok in a 4' x 2' tank for life. I wouldn't stress over the goldfish if you are re-homing it soon. Frequent water changes will keep things going ok for the time being.
What do you want to get from breeding your female parrot?

exoticaquaria

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2012
Shreveport
well im hoping to rehome the goldfish but im not having any luck. if I dont find him a home would he last in the setup? and parrots can grow to 8 inches or so right? im not sure I have a female but im guessing I have atleast one out of three with the way these guys are acting. im looking for a easy match but what are the possible combos when it comes to breeding parrots?

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
It won't be a good combo for too long with the goldfish. Your parrots may reach 8" but it will take a real long time.
You aren't really guaranteed a certain outcome with whatever you cross them with. The fry will express each parents traits randomly and most will look like the pure species parent so they must be culled. If you want more shortbody faders cross with a midas you should get a few. They will look better than your blood parrots. I would get a male shortbody flowerhorn to breed with the parrot that will result in absolute awesomeness.

exoticaquaria

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2012
Shreveport
thanks, think I should get three midas of the same size if I explore that option? do I have enough tankspace to even think about breeding.. I know these may not be "show quality" parrots but the two darker ones show some beautiful pink stripes, will they keep this dark color through adulthood? ive read online they all turn pink/orange as they mature, is this why the one yellow parrot has some black on his fins? also; exactly how much larger is this goldfish going to get?

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
I don't know much about the goldfish. I would let your bps grow larger before adding any male midas. That way you can let them spawn and be 100% sure which one is your female and you won't have to worry about the midas destroying them.
Your bps will more than likely fade to 1 solid color over their entire body. Orange yellow red.

Chubbers

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
St. Lawrence Seaway
as long as you watch your water closely it will be ok short term, until you re-home or move it.

also your tank dimensions seem larger than a 60. is it 4x2x2?

exoticaquaria

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2012
Shreveport
thanks guys, if I hade a tape measure handy id get the exact demensions but yes its about 4x2x2. I bought it from a friend. think I should drop the temp to 76f for the goldfish or would it be too cool for the parrots?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store