new to parrot fish, setup worries

oscaroo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
USA
well guys I just got back from petsmart. I purchased one four inch common pleco and the last three convicts they had, one large female a little over an inch with a bright pink belly and two smaller males. I tried to get some decent pics but these guys are pretty fast too. at what size do convicts reach sexual maturity? the males are about an inch but the female is about three times as wide. I know these small males wont spawn with my larger parrots until they grow a little, if at all but when should I expect the convicts to start breeding?
I told you not to get a common pleco. 1 common pleco will take up that whole aquarium. I think you should breed the Bps and the convict in a separate tank because convicts can be aggressive during breeding. Convicts are easy to sex so I would pick out a male and return the other ones. male convicts have a belly that is barley red to not red and they are darker and are a little bluish. females have a orange belly and are lighter. I would just not breed the fish if I were you and return the convicts and get a other BP.

exoticaquaria

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2012
Shreveport
I told you not to get a common pleco. 1 common pleco will take up that whole aquarium. I think you should breed the Bps and the convict in a separate tank because convicts can be aggressive during breeding. Convicts are easy to sex so I would pick out a male and return the other ones. male convicts have a belly that is barley red to not red and they are darker and are a little bluish. females have a orange belly and are lighter. I would just not breed the fish if I were you and return the convicts and get a other BP.
you told me not to get a common,pleco in my aquarium lol? with it being my tank and all I chose to, when the pleco gets larger ill place him in my main aquarium with my 23 inch common pleco I needed some algae relief and hes already working at it. the thing with breeding hybrids is some times they just dont pair up thats why I got two males to double the chances. are u saying the tank is overcrowded? im not trying to mass produce these fish, im just breeding for my own collection and feeders. ive had convicts spawn in communities before and I know how crazy they get. but given my parrots size, attitude and all the rockwork and decor in the aquarium the worst they could suffer is a fin nip or two. id like to see the convicts breed and maybe ill produce a hybrid spawn in a month or so when the males are bigger.
get a briselnosed pleco. They only get 4-7 inches long.
they were out :(

Sent from my HUAWEI-M835 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

oscaroo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
USA
you told me not to get a common,pleco in my aquarium lol? with it being my tank and all I chose to, when the pleco gets larger ill place him in my main aquarium with my 23 inch common pleco I needed some algae relief and hes already working at it. the thing with breeding hybrids is some times they just dont pair up thats why I got two males to double the chances. are u saying the tank is overcrowded? im not trying to mass produce these fish, im just breeding for my own collection and feeders. ive had convicts spawn in communities before and I know how crazy they get. but given my parrots size, attitude and all the rockwork and decor in the aquarium the worst they could suffer is a fin nip or two. id like to see the convicts breed and maybe ill produce a hybrid spawn in a month or so when the males are bigger.

they were out :(

Sent from my HUAWEI-M835 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Eh the stock is not too bad not including the pleco. You can keep the BPs and 1 of the convicts. after the convict and BP spawn(IF they) You might have aggression problems. If the Bps is a male and the convict is a female it might work. But i would not trust a male convicts.

The tank is not that bad, you could do it, Just remember to do TONS of water changes when they get bigger. Anyway, You should just breed normal convicts. They are much easier to breed. I would just put the three convicts in a different tank and try to make a pair. If you get the convicts out of there you could get 1 more BP.

oscaroo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
USA
I'm sorry but I think you made a mistake getting the pleco ( relentless poopers) and the cons (probably gonna pair up and terrorize the rest of the tank). I would have just left it alone.
+1, I would have just gotten 1 more BP or nothing at all. You can consider breeding the convicts in a different tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store