New to Snakeheads

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Similar in care for other polys....need to adjust for tank size depending on type.

Reactions: tlindsey

Kiragacasg95

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Somerset
From what ive read so far these beauts get to around 12" so id say 2-3ft tank id hope would keep it happy enough, i'll see if i can dig one out at work where all my old trop tanks are kep, thank you for the help so far guys

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
4ft minimum. You should see how busy my polypterus are

Wouldn't say anything smaller is good long term

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
I used to have 2 Dels. They're pretty fun although pretty quiet, I kinda love the way they swim, it's like falkor or whatever the name of the neverending story dog dragon thing is.

I sold them away and got retropinnis and ornatipinnis instead, I kinda regret that choice. :p

Either way, they are NOT quite as demanding as sneakheads, so it's kind of a good thing, right? ;)

Kiragacasg95

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Somerset
I do own a 5ft at work, but would have to wait atleast 6-8 months until we are in our bigger place, would he/she be ok in a 3ft until then? I mean its not even 1ft long yet so im assuming as a temp home would be okay, feeding wise, ive got cockles, prawn (raw) bloodworm, brinshimp, fw shrimp all frozen and then crickets, meal worms and supers for my turtles plus meaty and algae pellets for pleco so i think i can do okay food wise? And he has bog wood and plants in his tank

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
3ft would be okay. Keep on top of water :)
Everything but algae pellets and superworms will work

Make sure it's eating pellets though

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
I believe it maxes out at around 1ft, so if it's close to that, it won't get much bigger! ;)

I think you'll be fine, especially if it's solo in there, not ideal by any means tho.

Reactions: Kiragacasg95

Kiragacasg95

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Somerset
The demanding part yes is a good thing but im actually quite miffed that its not snakehead :( still pretty though and a nice fish to watch as you were saying ^_^
I only payed £20 for him/her was supposed to be £40 but thats the up side to selling to pet shops is the discounts you get lol

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Dammit Hendre Hendre you're too fast for my fingers. :p

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
The demanding part yes is a good thing but im actually quite miffed that its not snakehead :( still pretty though and a nice fish to watch as you were saying ^_^
I only payed £20 for him/her was supposed to be £40 but thats the up side to selling to pet shops is the discounts you get lol
20 quid isn't bad for a del. I pay a bit less here

Dammit Hendre Hendre you're too fast for my fingers. :p
Hehe. I feed my polypterus earthworms, frozen hake and normal sinking pellets

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store