New used tank!

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Your full-siphon overflows will be submerged a bit into the water. You will control this by putting valves on the lines that go down into your sump and then closing them off until the flow from the pump matches the flow from the overflows, so they run full-siphon and quiet. This will take some tuning to achieve and is a reason why I highly recommend using the Jebao DCP pumps because they have a very fine adjustability on their controller that can be used to match the valves rather than trying to match the valves to the pumps. Then, the emergency overflow will be a bit higher than the full-siphon overflow but not so high that it will let the tank overflow. The emergency overflow should remain fully open. It’s not uncommon to get a little bit of a trickle going down the emergency drain either. If I were you, I’d recommend making the two 1” bulkheads your full-siphon overflows and then making your 1.5” the emergency drain.

Also, you need to make sure that your sump can handle the extra water volume if you lose power and the main tank drains down to where the full-siphon drains are. This should be easy for you since you have a 150 gallon tank with a 75 gallon sump. I’ve managed it just fine with my 220 that has a 55 gallon sump.
Thanks. Ive had the jebao 12000 in my amazon cart by coincidence.

What if i went with an emergency drain 1" right above the overflow i already drilled? Id really like the main drain in the center of the tank.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Thanks. Ive had the jebao 12000 in my amazon cart by coincidence.

What if i went with an emergency drain 1" right above the overflow i already drilled? Id really like the main drain in the center of the tank.
Using the center for the main overflow is fine. I would just recommend only drilling one if the corners for a 1.5” to use as the emergency drain. It’s not a good idea to have your emergency drain be smaller than your main drain unless they are grossly oversized. Since you’re running a 150, a 1” emergency drain when you have a 1.5” main drain is prettt small.

Also, for the pumps, I’d recommend going with two of the Jebao DCP 6500’s or 8000’s over one of the 12000’s. It gives you redundancy in the event one of them goes out or fails to restart properly after a power outage. Just make sure you get the DCP series. The DCT and DCS pumps do not have the fine adjustability and the DCQ, although nice with the same fine adjustability as the DCP plus wavemaker capabilities, is still pretty expensive.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Im gonna be honest i love all of your ideas but after running the numbers this project simply doesnt have the funding for all that. I can only afford the one pump for sure. Plumbing supplies and whatnot are already adding up to what i planned to spend on this. I think im gonna add 2 1" auxiliary drains closer to the waterline and just keep those open. I cant see the thing getting so clogged that those wont control a flood (famous last words)

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Took some time off of plumbing to focus on the 73.5"x19.5"x39" stand:

Ready go!
20190329_133649.jpg
20190329_141920.jpg

As you can see the recycled wood i used on the ends was so dried out that it split. I will have to replace those. About halfway done now. Not enough time in the day to get everything done this week though. Im off for the weekend!

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Took some time off of plumbing to focus on the 73.5"x19.5"x39" stand:

Ready go!
View attachment 1366788
View attachment 1366789

As you can see the recycled wood i used on the ends was so dried out that it split. I will have to replace those. About halfway done now. Not enough time in the day to get everything done this week though. Im off for the weekend!
You need to put supports in, in between the top and bottom frames. Right now, the tank will only be supported by the screws holding the frame together, but it really should be supported by some vertical pieces of wood.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
You need to put supports in, in between the top and bottom frames. Right now, the tank will only be supported by the screws holding the frame together, but it really should be supported by some vertical pieces of wood.
Im aware. I mentioned i was halfway done with the stand. But thanks as always for the thorough critique.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Done drilling! I went ahead and drilled a second drain for 1.5" pipe to serve as the emergency overflow. My holes were much straighter as i got more practice, but for whatever reason the 3/4" return holes took some chipping during the drilling. I assume i mustve gone too fast with the smaller bit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store