New wild caught Tiger shovelnose

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Victor, we are looking at a small fish. Compare the size of the adipose in photo 8 of the planet catfish link to photo 9 . You can see in some really young tsn the adipose is exceptionally larger in proportion to the fish to that of adults. Hence in young tsn I ignore adipose. But I do agree that the snout looks Maybe a little short, can’t really tell for sure by the angle of the fish and photo.
Don’t see many hybrids where I am in the uk at all, in fact never seen one for sale in the flesh , ever, and I visit at least 2 aquatic shops every week, but maybe I need to widen my circle, or the places I visit are too reputable to sell them.
Would still like to see photos of this fish progressing and still willing to give benefit of doubt on the basis we have probably catalogued maybe only 30 percent of fish that exist.
As ever, I am always happy to be corrected by someone who has kept fish I have never seen.
Sorry, I didn't know you'd be that unfamiliar with this hybrid.

I'd compare the young fish in photo 8 https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/image.php?image_id=12550 versus the OP photos. To me, this is the point - looking at comparable size fish. No need to worry or invoke adults of either fish unless there is a point you are trying to make that I am missing.

Also, I dutifully provided a link with a large collection of photos of this hybrid in my thread. Have you looked at them? In my mind, I/we know exactly what the hybrid looks like. We've known it firsthand for more than 10-15 years in the USA (even though I held personal ignorances not tooo long ago as evidenced in the thread).

I also would follow Occam's razor principle to the absolute dead end of the current state of the science of taxonomy before invoking the "big great unknown" :)

I am saddened to see so little response to this thread from expert MFKers, who'd qualify to answer this ID question. 10 years ago I imagine we would have 10-20 responses from trustworthy and experienced keepers by now... Necrocanis, Wednesday13, Blackbullhead immediately come to mind. IDK what happened to Moe214, he like dropped off the face of the earth.

Oh well, gotta learn to be happy with what one's got.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Good-looking phase. It's too bad the patterns and colors won't remain like this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store