newbie plywood 120 tank

VAMDAE

Feeder Fish
Apr 10, 2021
hello im new! im building a plywood tank. dimensions are going to be 42''x24''x30''. Im getting help with more carpentry savvy family but still messed up measurements due to not knowing 2x4s arent actually 2x4 so now ill have to add a bit of wood above them or bring the height down to 29 inches instead.

Im using 3/4 inch oak plywood for the covered sides and bottoms and 2x4s for the windowed sides. Im ordering 1/2 glass for the windows and either going with pond shield or will get a quote from a local place for fiberglassing the inside. how does it look? Will plywood sides need more support?
20210410_170241.jpg
also i made a little model of how i want it and its cabniet to look, i was going to put the plumbing on the left side and cover it with a cabniet.
20210313_173139.jpg

Its going to house a senegal bichir. Havent decided on his tankmates yet, right now hes in a 40 gallon with giant dianos right now but he tries to eat them dispite them being over half his size so i will seperate them when this is done and ready. (he is unable to catch them thankfully)

20210313_173139.jpg

Attachments

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I would either do 2 or 3 3" plywood strips vertically on the back and 2 horizontal across top and bottom and frame the short side, or another sheet of plywood. Same for the bottom. Make the bottom one solid piece and make it 3/4" bigger then the back and left side to accommodate the bracing. Any support on the top back to front?

Reactions: tlindsey

VAMDAE

Feeder Fish
Apr 10, 2021
thanks for your input! defo can add more support. I didnt put any support in the top but i can. wasnt sure if a tank of this size needed one.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
hello im new! im building a plywood tank. dimensions are going to be 42''x24''x30''. Im getting help with more carpentry savvy family but still messed up measurements due to not knowing 2x4s arent actually 2x4 so now ill have to add a bit of wood above them or bring the height down to 29 inches instead.

Im using 3/4 inch oak plywood for the covered sides and bottoms and 2x4s for the windowed sides. Im ordering 1/2 glass for the windows and either going with pond shield or will get a quote from a local place for fiberglassing the inside. how does it look? Will plywood sides need more support?
View attachment 1457201
also i made a little model of how i want it and its cabniet to look, i was going to put the plumbing on the left side and cover it with a cabniet.
20210313_173139.jpg

Its going to house a senegal bichir. Havent decided on his tankmates yet, right now hes in a 40 gallon with giant dianos right now but he tries to eat them dispite them being over half his size so i will seperate them when this is done and ready. (he is unable to catch them thankfully)

View attachment 1457203
Welcome aboard
Plywood aquarium looks good.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I've made a bunch of 120's over the years...all 48 x 24 x 24 inches, simply because those are convenient dimensions when using 4 x 8 foot 3/4-inch plywood. No 2x4 frames, no fiberglass, always with a 2-inch frame bracing the opening all the way around. Sealed with epoxy, 1/2-inch glass siliconed in. Never any problems. Properly glued and screwed, these tanks last many years. A single sheet of plywood per tank.

All this bomb-proof over-building can't hurt, but why do all the extra work and waste all the extra money? I would reserve all the reinforcements and frames for much larger tanks, especially deeper ones.

If your carpentry-savvy helpers didn't know the actual dimensions of a 2x4, you need better helpers.

Measure twice, cut once, go slowly, be thorough. Building your own tanks is very satisfying; good luck!

VAMDAE

Feeder Fish
Apr 10, 2021
I've made a bunch of 120's over the years...all 48 x 24 x 24 inches, simply because those are convenient dimensions when using 4 x 8 foot 3/4-inch plywood. No 2x4 frames, no fiberglass, always with a 2-inch frame bracing the opening all the way around. Sealed with epoxy, 1/2-inch glass siliconed in. Never any problems. Properly glued and screwed, these tanks last many years. A single sheet of plywood per tank.

All this bomb-proof over-building can't hurt, but why do all the extra work and waste all the extra money? I would reserve all the reinforcements and frames for much larger tanks, especially deeper ones.

If your carpentry-savvy helpers didn't know the actual dimensions of a 2x4, you need better helpers.

Measure twice, cut once, go slowly, be thorough. Building your own tanks is very satisfying; good luck!
they knew they just didnt think to mention that to a newbie and thought it was a given. thanks for the tips

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store