Newbie Question (Paraya, Vampire, armatur)

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
Wow that is a ---------yea monster. ---------And sticky don't sell your scomb break the myth. Tell us all about it? size and how long you have had it and the set up? Also what ph is it kept in?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
That is "THE" fish that got me hooked on this hobby.

Almost scarey when you think of the power that fish has..... Imagine having to move it.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
DB junkie;2389082; said:
That is "THE" fish that got me hooked on this hobby.

Almost scarey when you think of the power that fish has..... Imagine having to move it.
No kidding. I wonder what would be worst??? The water bill to house him or the food bill to feed him? Shoot I bet that dude has a Life Insurance Policy for him:ROFL:........50,000

Man does he ever look so powerful. I dont know about you guys but I cant wait to see an episode of Armatus or GATF on National Geographic:naughty:
They have covered snakeheads, amiapaira (whatever... PTCs fish:ROFL:),
large catfish and other species in Africa. Just hope they run across the the Bad Arse looking Armatus and Goliath:naughty:.....:popcorn:

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I think most people don't realize the power of these fish..lol

I know I didn't till just recently. It is amazing what they are capable of when in comfortable surroundings. I have been trying to get a feeding vid of my Armatus after dumping them in my pond. I sold the 180 they were housed in so I had no choice but to throw a divider in the pond and dump them in there. There's no friggin way to get a vid. They move so fast and accelerate with such rediculous speed all you see if the piece of smelt twitch then it's gone. Every once in a while you can see them streak from one side of the pond to the other like they are building speed before they hit the falling piece of smelt. They NEVER moved like this in a tank..... they were MUCH more precaucious. Your eyes do not move fast enough to follow them all you see is a glimpse. I've also noticed this "care free" feeding with the Rhaph. Much stronger acceleration to the food and it utilizes the entire pond. I am starting to wonder if it has to do with the enviroment being dark from all side but the top making them feel more at home??

I can see why these would be an extremely sought after fishing adventure.

I can say they definetly prefer current. They never leave the rapids coming from the filter. Makes it VERY difficult to even see them. The only time I really do is when I huck a piece of smelt in there...... and even then it's just a streak.

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
like everyone else said...
theres hyrdolycus:scomberoides(the one you have,which dies at around a foot,tatauaia,and the MONSTER ARMATUS(30 plus inches has been achieved).
then theres cynodon gibbus and raphiodon vulpinus.
i think cynopotamus are totally different fish,not related.
as for differences in price,i think it would be the availability of each species.
armatus are expensive because its hard to find any at small,shipable,sizes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store