Newbie Tips

domslimedout16

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2021
Hello, so a week ago I got two baby mini peacock bass (2 inches) and two baby parrot chiclids (2-3 inches). A week has passed and one of my chicla unfortunately died (believe from choking on a feeder). I currently feed my fish once a day on frozen bloodworms and shrimp and were able to get them off of feeders. I was wondering about water changes and how often to do them and when should I do my first water change. I’ve heard many things such as wait 2 weeks before doing one and like should i do a 20% one like weekly or so. My fish are very healthy and the water is as safe as can be so I was just wondering about any tips and what to do to avoid any diseases as well such as ich or swim bladder etc.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello, so a week ago I got two baby mini peacock bass (2 inches) and two baby parrot chiclids (2-3 inches). A week has passed and one of my chicla unfortunately died (believe from choking on a feeder). I currently feed my fish once a day on frozen bloodworms and shrimp and were able to get them off of feeders. I was wondering about water changes and how often to do them and when should I do my first water change. I’ve heard many things such as wait 2 weeks before doing one and like should i do a 20% one like weekly or so. My fish are very healthy and the water is as safe as can be so I was just wondering about any tips and what to do to avoid any diseases as well such as ich or swim bladder etc.
Welcome aboard

Water changes should be atleast 50% done weekly. The only exception is if it was a planted aquarium.
Quarantine is very helpful to treat disease prior to adding new fish to the main aquarium.

Was the aquarium completely cycled prior to adding the fish?

Last edited:
Reactions: dr exum

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Also like to add always do research on the species of fish you would like to add to the aquarium.

Some species grow large
Different temperament (compatibility)
Require Hard or Soft water to stay healthy
Different Diets some require live, plant matter such as algae for example.
Different temperature for some species.

Reactions: kno4te

domslimedout16

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2021
Welcome aboard

Water changes should be atleast 50% done weekly. The only exception is if it was a planted aquarium.
Quarantine is very helpful to treat disease prior to adding new fish to the main aquarium.

Was the aquarium completely cycled prior to adding the fish?
I’m not sure to be honest i read something about leave it for 24-48 hours before adding fish but i have no plants

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store