Newest cat to the family

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I've no clue, mate. If I had to guess it is probably extremely hard or impossible to accomplish naturally without hormone tricks and such, as it is the case with almost all large (cat)fish in captivity.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I've no clue, mate. If I had to guess it is probably extremely hard or impossible to accomplish naturally without hormone tricks and such, as it is the case with almost all large (cat)fish in captivity.
That figures. But then again rhat was said with polys to that it was needed hormones to breed them but ive got a friend whom breed her polypterus ornatepinnis with success. :)

Im really hoping this to be a male and a female. The swim side by side and no damages from what i can see atm.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Her is my two clarotes laticeps like they swim constantly. It is hard to get a decent pic as they are out and about all the time searching for food. Hungry little buggers that eat more together then the five large rays thats in with them. Still no major clashes between them cant see any wounds or anything on them. The lighter specimen has gotten a broader mouth on this short amount of time its been with me.

Moved all my cichlas from ghe pond this evening to make more room for my cats and rays. So now there is only 5 rays, these two cats, one hypsibarbus wetmorei, one tsn x rtc and last but not least one leptobarbus hoevenii. Im changing 10-20% water every day now to decrease the temperature to try to imitate a rainperiod and trying tp figure out how to simulate heavy rain in the pond.

20190716_223804.jpg

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Well today might be a sad day. Came down to my fishroom and checked on my rays and cats. Found the latest aquired clarotes swimming really wierd and spinning its body around doing barrel rolls. Netted it up and saw it got a big cut on its belly. Had a quick check on my rays barbs and sure enough one of my large females has the skin torn on her barb. The cat is in an ibc tote right now as it is still breathing and trying to swim around. Hopefully it will make it. Im off to work in a couple of hours so my mate im sharing fishroom with is gonna keep an eye on it and keep me updated.

20190718_142832.jpg

20190718_142757.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Ouch. Hope it pulls through.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Ouch. Hope it pulls through.
So do i. Ive seen big cichlas getting pierced in the head and pull through. But there is alot of organs and soft tissue in the stomach. But now only time will tell. Clean water and salt:)

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Unfortunatly i lost this one clarotes that got stabbed by one of the rays. It endured three days before it died. It actually got better the second day after stabbing.
The third day when i came down to my fishroom it was belly up and was dead as an stone. To bad since i actually got two cats of the same species swimming together without any fights. Hopefully i will show up another clarotes for me to pick up soon. If not i am more then happy with the one i got left in the pool.

It measured 63cm TL and weighted about 7kg.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store