Newest cat to the family

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hard to say for sure but it may look more like one of mine that came from the Niger river. The genus has been in limbo for 3-4 years. Scientists cannot agree on the number of species. So I can't assign any species.

My "wittei" came from the Congo river.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Hard to say for sure but it may look more like one of mine that came from the Niger river. The genus has been in limbo for 3-4 years. Scientists cannot agree on the number of species. So I can't assign any species.

My "wittei" came from the Congo river.
Here is a better pic of it i got from the previous owner. Whats your opinion of it victor? IMG_22241.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
45 cm, right? So 1.5 foot. Is the collection point known?

Yellowcat Yellowcat

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
45 cm, right? So 1.5 foot. Is the collection point known?

Yellowcat Yellowcat
No i dont know the collection point but ill see if i can figure that out since it comes from a store wich is only importing fish from africa.

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
Having raised up a few a. wittei, I would say everything points to wittei with your fish, the black barbels, the black spot on the gill cover and the few spots along the lateral line area are typical of the a. wittei variety I've kept which did come from D.R. Congo. Love the clarotes laciteps, they remind me of channel cat but better looking in my opinion, a species I've always wanted to keep but lack a large enough tank for one..

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Having raised up a few a. wittei, I would say everything points to wittei with your fish, the black barbels, the black spot on the gill cover and the few spots along the lateral line area are typical of the a. wittei variety I've kept which did come from D.R. Congo. Love the clarotes laciteps, they remind me of channel cat but better looking in my opinion, a species I've always wanted to keep but lack a large enough tank for one..

Thanks for your reply. And thank you for confirming my thoughts. And confirming my friends id on this giraffecat.

The clarotes is a cool little cat indeed. I dont regret a second i bought it. To bad the clarotes and the giraffecat didnt come along at all in my pool so i had to separate them. But within a month im starting a build with 480x240cm in footprint so hopefully it will work better there.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
A small uppdate on this amazing cat.

Growing quite rapid and is prob about 60cm right now. Starting to bulk up and getting quite wide over its head. And in addition to this i got a friend for my clarotes with another clarotes a little bigger and bulkier alot wider and much lighter in its coloration. Prob due to other collectionpoint. Time will tell if this will work out but im having my fingers crossed.

Im acctually hoping to have one of each gender here.

I will post better pics tomorrow when im back from work and slept a few hours.

As seen on this pic there is one thats almost black and one is gray in its coloration.

20190712_154339.jpg

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter you dont happen to know anything about their breeding procedures? There is little to none information about it online. Ive raid that they migrate during rainseason to breed but thats about it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store