Nexus Filter Build

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
So this is an upgrade kit that Evo supply? I hope it wasn't expensive since it is to improve their own product. I notice they have an auto clean kit add on now.

Your upgrade project looks good. Well done. I hope the filter is working better and should make cleaning easier.

I looked at nexus very closely but a plastic replacement lid was $200 in my part of the world. And I noticed many users use a cetus seive and often a bead filter in addition to improve mechanical filtration.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
So this is an upgrade kit that Evo supply? I hope it wasn't expensive since it is to improve their own product. I notice they have an auto clean kit add on now.

Your upgrade project looks good. Well done. I hope the filter is working better and should make cleaning easier.

I looked at nexus very closely but a plastic replacement lid was $200 in my part of the world. And I noticed many users use a cetus seive and often a bead filter in addition to improve mechanical filtration.
haha...It's all on the owner.
I'll post pics later to show water clarity. It's only a few days and the fishes are noticeably happier. I'll continue to post on this thread to see if results are worth it or not.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Here's a video of the bottom of the settlement chamber. The vortex action works! I can see the micro K1 is also holding on to a lot of particulates. I'm not going wash it yet in hopes the media builds up the bio film soon.

Reactions: DThompson and deeda

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Here's a cleaning video of the mechanical filter after 2 weeks since it was installed.
The media did sink about an inch once it aged a little. I waited 2 weeks before cleaning because as I mentioned earlier, I want the media to seed with bacteria.

I can say up to this point this filter is impressive.
Settling chamber does collect heavy particles.
K1 micro does trap a lot mechanically.
Draining tank is easy and entire mechanical chamber purges in one minute.
Washing K1 micro by hand is easy. Not shown in the video is me stirring the media while floating when the water level was higher.

For my system, I did not install the air pump due to noise and I didn't think I need it because the filter is way over sized for my small pond.
With that said, mosquito nest in the media because the media is not agitated.

K1 Micro Cleaning

Reactions: deeda

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
High Fish Load + Monster Biological = Huge Bio Waste

Check out the green algae benefiting from the conversion. Newly installed PVC pipe is also covered in green.

green.jpg

Reactions: deeda

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
So it has been a year since I installed the Nexus.

It started on a heavily stocked pond in need for more filtration. Right away the vortex chamber settled out the detrus which did what they advertised. What was not so obvious is the biological performance. My observation last year showed the massive biological converted the high nitrite into nitrate resulting in nice green algae.

Fast forward to this year when the pond was restocked with 6 small grow out fishes. Recently a few threads asked about the affects of over filtration and the K1 micro media. My experience in the change to my pond may have some answers.

So with a nice size biological converting high nitrite = high nitrate. Plants or water change to balance otherwise string algae will develop.

Currently, the oversized biological is converting the what little nitrite there is put out by the small growouts = low nitrate. The result is a die off of pond algae. The high volume of media and flow generated a bloom of rotifers. The pond today is bare plastic striped of every bit of green. So during the condition change, the pond clouded up and small particles circulated. The K1 micro was not able to keep the water clear. Weekly water change/Nexus cleaning was performed. Now all the algae is gone and water is clear.

Conclusion
Over filtration is a good thing. I believe the media is there if needed and can throttle back on it's own. I wouldn't use the K1 micro solely to filter particles but should be designed to be a reactor to generate the needed bacteria to eat the particles.

Here's the link to my pond from heavy algae through the cycle of over filtration with little stock. Note the particles and cloudiness.

Reactions: deeda and Matteus

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Always nice to see a good news update. I agree with your K1 findings but I use a 200L barrel for the moving bed and a second 200L barrel for the static (with air stir and drain). This is much cheaper, easier to understand and only slightly bigger floor space but that's just my opinion.

Theory is one thing but real life often differs. I suspect people analyse the nitrogen biological aspects but forget the biofilm component. Moving Bed Bio Reactors are predominantly biofilm.

Reactions: Matteus

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
My Nexus does not have an air pump hooked up. It is currently operating 100% static. No moving bed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store