Nimbochromis compatibility ?

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
My LFS got in two varieties of Nimbochromis, Fuscotaeniatus & Polystigma. Both are extremely uncommon in my area. One guy bought the majority of the Fuscos, leaving only three. A Venustus tankmate killed the weakest Fusco. I snatched up the most dominant of the remaining two. I'm pretty certain he's a male. He had a more boxy build than the other. The Polystigmas are going fast and I'm considering buying one. Both species are only an inch long. Could both co-exist in a 120 long? Is buying the possible female Fusco anything to consider?20181115_080856.jpg

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Great looking Stoni's. I just transitioned the tank to an African theme a few months ago. Most of my stock are juvenile Peacocks & Haps, most smaller than 3". I'll be trading in a few females peacocks. Since you had success keeping two male Stoni's, I might go for the remaining Fusco. I think it's female. The manager of the LFS advised that Fuscos are rarely available from their supplier.

Thanks Duane

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Fusco's are said to be the most aggressive nimbochromis. I've kept polystigma, Livingstoni, venustus, and linni together in the past and it worked. I currently have linni, Livingstoni, and venustus together without any issues. All are around 7" in a 6ft tank. I want to add a fusco, but he'll be the last fish added and probably smaller than everyone else. The venustus is fefdefinit the mostly flashy, but not really aggressive.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
My tank is only five feet, but I like the boxy shape of the 120 long over the six foot 125. Gives the fish more wiggle room.
I've heard about the same Fusco aggression reputation that you've noted. The little guy is holding his own against larger tankmates. I've been buying fish from the same LFS for 20 yrs. And this is the first time seeing Fuscos & Polystigmas. I'll probably go and buy the remaining Fusco if I can determine if it's female. It looked pretty easy to determine the gender of the Polystigmas. The males all had a slight blue sheen.

Thanks James

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
IME they will co exist (maybe) until they become larger, at which time bad things will possibly happen. (if all males) It's always a roll of the dice with Nimbo's, some are passive, some are hyper aggressive. Mine were all pretty aggro, a few hyper aggro and had to be removed. (in a 6ft tank) Good luck with your decision.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
My tank is only five feet, but I like the boxy shape of the 120 long over the six foot 125. Gives the fish more wiggle room.
I've heard about the same Fusco aggression reputation that you've noted. The little guy is holding his own against larger tankmates. I've been buying fish from the same LFS for 20 yrs. And this is the first time seeing Fuscos & Polystigmas. I'll probably go and buy the remaining Fusco if I can determine if it's female. It looked pretty easy to determine the gender of the Polystigmas. The males all had a slight blue sheen.

Thanks James
They are usually easy to sex at a smaller size, especially in a tank with a few. Ive found that most nimbos get blue in their face really early. Keep us updated on how the fusco turns out. I will eventually end up with one, or maybe a tyrannochromis nigervinter instead. Both look similar.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I went back to the LFS yesterday and determined that the remaing Fusco looked different enough from the first Fusco to take a chance and buy it.
The first Fusco has a larger, longer head. The mouth is even a little bigger. See pics. So maybe Fusco #2 is female.
After the initial shyness of being introduced into the tank, both Fuscos have snapped out of it. Each has taken up a position at opposite ends of the tank and constantly attack any fish that encroach their rock. The Fuscos are only an inch long. They are going after much larger tankmates.
The Polystigmas were tempting, but I think the Fuscos were the best choice.20181117_195533.jpg 20181117_195925.jpg

Reactions: jordanlewis100

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I've had the two Fuscos a little over two months now; thought I'd give an update. I think both are males and have each claimed big specific rocks. They don't fight but will confront and stare down each other if one ventures near the others territory. The Fuscos are only a little over 2 inches, but they dominate the much larger Venustus & Livingstoni as well as any other tankmate. Here's a few pics.20190128_110520.jpg 20190205_101533.jpg 20190129_100802.jpg

Reactions: Adam GR
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store