Nimbochromis compatibility ?

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Looking good, they'll probably get alittle meaner around 4", that's when my venustus started. He turned out to be more bark than bite. Hopefully atleast one will work out. I plan to add one more group of fish to my tank, fusco may be one of them.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
The Fuscos have been a very pleasant surprise, and are quickly becoming one of my favorites.
My Venustus is about 4" now, and IMO too mellow to be a male. Recently I bought a 3" Venustus, which was by far the most aggressive in my LFS display tank. After a few days in my tank the new Venustus was dominating the original Venustus and even taking on the Fuscos. The Fuscos always win. Lol. Here's a pic of the new Venustus.20190205_101026.jpg

Reactions: BigBeardDaHuZi

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The Fuscos are only an inch long. They are going after much larger tankmates.
Those fish were juiced, hence why they were showing color at such small sizes.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I agree. Although the LFS I buy from is a very good one, the manager has advised more than once that new shipments of their Africans, especially Aulonocara, are often times juiced.
I've bought numerous Peacocks from that store whose colors quickly faded, but eventually returned to normal coloration after many months. No health issues.
Until the Fuscos, no other Haps or Mbuna bought there showed any signs of being juiced.
The Fuscos have since more than doubled their size. The more dominant one has a solid blue sheen. The other Fusco exhibits a redish camo pattern. There have been no health issues. Both Fuscos dominate their particular rock located at either end of the tank.

Reactions: Adam GR

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
A common practice in Asia, I just wasn't sure if you realized that. All good.
I suspect that you are going to have aggression issues as time goes on, but I guess time will tell.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Beautiful Fusco. Lucky to find a young adult.
Unfortunately, very recently, I had to euthanize mine. One morning found the Fusco very battered & skinned up.
Likely lost a big fight w/ one of the big Mbuna.
I bought another baby Fusco. It's in a grow out tank. Still not sure of the gender.
Your tank will be plenty big for your Fusco. He might reach nine inches. Keep updating.

Reactions: Adam GR

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
A male fusco in his prime can easily reach 10+ inches. An overfed specimen, a chunky 12". The smaller the tank, the tighter the fit for the larger predatory species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store