Nitrate absorbing floating plants

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Also water hyacinth is kind of hard to grow indoors, grows great outdoors but needs intense lighting and airflow

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I best one is potassium permaganate. You might try dipping(completely submerging) them quickly in methylene blue. The bleach not 100% sure. Keep in mind parasites hitch hike in on plants as easy as fish
Heard of the potassium Pomegranate treatment for plants but not the MB. Got both here. Will decide soon. Thx Wailua Boy Wailua Boy .

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Also water hyacinth is kind of hard to grow indoors, grows great outdoors but needs intense lighting and airflow
Yeah the hyacinth was just a whim. It was avaliable locally. The water lettuce should be here in a few days.
Heard of the potassium Pomegranate treatment for plants but not the MB. Got both here. Will decide soon. Thx Wailua Boy Wailua Boy .
Wonder if treating them with tetra parasite guard would be advised...mhhh

Sounds like this deserves its own thread lol

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
If you have water lettuce coming dont even mess with the hyancinth. Maybe others have had good results but I cant think of it ever thriving in an aquarium with a hood. In ponds it grows out of control. Most nurseries grow it in stagnant tubs with half dead mosquito fish IDK. The lettuce will grow in nasty conditions too but has a better survival rate indoors IME.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
If you have water lettuce coming dont even mess with the hyancinth. Maybe others have had good results but I cant think of it ever thriving in an aquarium with a hood. In ponds it grows out of control. Most nurseries grow it in stagnant tubs with half dead mosquito fish IDK. The lettuce will grow in nasty conditions too but has a better survival rate indoors IME.
I guess if anything i can practice the bleach dips on them lol.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Kordon copper aid maybe good for this purpose ?

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Copper is really good for snails(and parasites), its just treating the encysted parasites may still require quarantine

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Copper is really good for snails(and parasites), its just treating the encysted parasites may still require quarantine
Cool im pretty sure petco near me has some. That hyacinth root system looks dense like a forest man. What a mess

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Yeah the hyancinth, to get it develop those massive roots they usually fertilize real heavy and once you put in aquarium, they arent receiving that level of nutrients and start breaking up. Maybe try a small nugget and see if it takes

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hey I talked to some plant guys and was advised not to do the bleach/water cleanse. It can kill the plants even with a small exposure. Was advised on meds and qt.

As wailua boy mentioned....pot perm/MB will help and qt those plants.

Reactions: clm08k
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store